A pedal makers calls shenanigans

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
1D485E10-5F85-4FA8-B685-54F06A30B5C4.jpeg

lol. I never quite understood all the hype around pedals. I mean there are so many great sounding pedals out there that there is no reason to pay a ton for a specific pedal.

They’re investments.

Don’t discount that for some of the more ‘pedigre’ pedals with a stable market, you can unload them with little to no risk of losing any money in the short run and make money in the longer run.

They’re investments.
No, they are TOOLS.

Tools of the trade, just like an auto mechanic, a musician needs quality and durable tools that work as promised. There's a reason those guys buy Snap-On, MAC, Matco, Cornwell etc and not cheap crap from Harbor Freight.

At the same time, they aren't insane enough to spend asinine money on a "boutique" tool just to bust the frozen tie-rod ends lose on a filthy, greasy '97 Ford Taurus when the Matco breaker bar in their box will work just fine.

No, they are TOOLS.

Tools of the trade, just like an auto mechanic, a musician needs quality and durable tools that work as promised. There's a reason those guys buy Snap-On, MAC, Matco, Cornwell etc and not cheap crap from Harbor Freight.

At the same time, they aren't insane enough to spend asinine money on a "boutique" tool just to bust the frozen tie-rod ends lose on a filthy, greasy '97 Ford Taurus when the Matco breaker bar in their box will work just fine.
I agree with this. I use some expensive stuff and some not-so expensive stuff. I played almost half my gig last night with an American strat with Mexican pickups and then I finished the night with my McFeely guitar. Neither is really super expensive in the world of guitars but they do the job. I play through a Suhr Badger amp which I spent the money on because I knew it could do the job and be reliable. I jhave some boutique pedals but my main overdrive is a Voodoo Lab Sparkledrive MOD, which is definitely not expensive or exotic.

lol. I never quite understood all the hype around pedals. I mean there are so many great sounding pedals out there that there is no reason to pay a ton for a specific pedal.

You could say I’ve been through my share of pedals and I can’t comprehend the coin some folks drop on some of them. I understand dropping cash on something like a Strymon because they do a lot, sound awesome and are well built. But over $1k for a dirt pedal? I would love to do a blindfold test with someone who bought a Klon and see if they really can hear the difference. And even if they can, is it really $1900 better?

You could say I’ve been through my share of pedals and I can’t comprehend the coin some folks drop on some of them. I understand dropping cash on something like a Strymon because they do a lot, sound awesome and are well built. But over $1k for a dirt pedal? I would love to do a blindfold test with someone who bought a Klon and see if they really can hear the difference. And even if they can, is it really $1900 better?

You could say the same thing about the entire guitar gear market. The only answer that makes sense is, “it was worth it to the buyer.”

Good on him for being honest and reasonable.

You know where I pretty much NEVER see Gucci, Boutique, High Dollar pedals?

On the stage at the feet of a well-established, highly successful, world renowned guitarist (leave Joe Bonamassa out of this, he's just an insufferable cork sniffing show off).

What I DO see more often than not, is a pedalboard loaded with attainable and sensible pedals of various price ranges but not more expensive than a Strymon or Eventide etc.

Even guys like mah buddy Phil Manzanerra, who has a ludicrous collection of hand built Pete Thorn pedals doesn't drag them out on the road backing up Gilmour. If ever there were a perfect excuse/situation for such stuff, I'd say that's got the market cornered.

Good on him for being honest and reasonable.

You know where I pretty much NEVER see Gucci, Boutique, High Dollar pedals?

On the stage at the feet of a well-established, highly successful, world renowned guitarist (leave Joe Bonamassa out of this, he's just an insufferable cork sniffing show off).

What I DO see more often than not, is a pedalboard loaded with attainable and sensible pedals of various price ranges but not more expensive than a Strymon or Eventide etc.

Even guys like mah buddy Phil Manzanerra, who has a ludicrous collection of hand built Pete Thorn pedals doesn't drag them out on the road backing up Gilmour. If ever there were a perfect excuse/situation for such stuff, I'd say that's got the market cornered.

If I were touring al over the place I think I’d want stuff that i could easily replace at a local GC or equivalent. And if something were rally special to me it should be affordable enough that bringing a few spares with me won’t cost the same as a decent used car.

If I were touring al over the place I think I’d want stuff that i could easily replace at a local GC or equivalent. And if something were rally special to me it should be affordable enough that bringing a few spares with me won’t cost the same as a decent used car.
Yep. I still see Boss pedals more than anything (and I always look...)

Reactions: OGG
Back