A new "The Paul" from Gibson?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
My sister-in-law wanted to start guitar lessons and after trying most of the guitars in my house she liked the Les Paul the best some did a little online looking and i ran across this:https://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Custo...ta-20&linkId=daf50e8638b70b3972d4fc1f4f41b64f

Les Paul Custom Special is a supercharged modern American-made Les Paul. Absolutely no compromise for the new S Series Made-in-USA guitars. The Les Paul Custom Special was designed around Gibson's standards of quality and innovation for Gibson USA's new S Series, bringing unprecedented value in an American-made guitar. It is made in USA, with American craftsmanship that is second to none, and featuring superior quality, tone and playability, and a modern design inspired by the Les Paul "The Paul" model. The Les Paul Custom Special features a nitrocellulose finish, with Gibson's new nitro light gloss for the body and a nitro satin finish for the neck. The neck is glued in and made of one piece of solid maple, with a slim-taper profile, topped with a genuine one-piece rosewood fingerboard. The body is crafted from solid mahogany for classic Gibson tones, and the guitar is loaded with completely new, modern, made-in-USA, Double Slugs Rhythm DS-C and Lead DS-C+ humbuckers with chrome covers. The Les Paul Custom Special delivers the absolute best value out there and amazing quality, tone and playability.

She got it yesterday and is bringing it by this weekend for my to check out. I'll report back.

fc5294198cd55abf8fe028256fcb92b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like the idea of it though I've never tried one. Anxious to see what you think about it and how much tweaking it needs.

I like the black one.

I'd probably put a Schaller Les Trem on it, because I've always wanted to do that with that type of bridge.

On another note: WTF kind of name is "Double Slugs" for pickups?

I swear every time Gibson comes along and does something that seems right they have to do something wrong in there. Just like a lazy teenager that always leaves something undone just so that the parents get exasperated and do it themselves.

I don't hate the look of it. I'd love to try one and see if these are decent instruments or crap.

I think it's basically a mahogany-bodied version of the new M2. Same level of build and hardware as the Firebird Zero and whatever the SG model is. Should be OK, but not at the regular asking price.

Here's some pics:
740b192b336afc472fbc2ef3c68404b7.jpg

eee867ce835debb596a959dad4dc08aa.jpg

082957f649b8d355f8576e3296690acd.jpg

71f599d50dc18bb5960326a90f6af317.jpg

It's a decent guitar. I can see where they saved some money on finishing. Sounds pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Look at those no-name Chinese tuners. They didn't even pay to stamp the Gibson logo on them.

Back