A New Jam!

ok...I just saw you post this at my place and had a few minutes before my first student this morning. Not the easiest progression to be musical with first thing in the morning! I'll have to take another whack when I'm awake but here''s my first effort warts and all http://markweinguitarlessons.com/s/mojam.mp3

ok...I just saw you post this at my place and had a few minutes before my first student this morning. Not the easiest progression to be musical with first thing in the morning! I'll have to take another whack when I'm awake but here''s my first effort warts and all http://markweinguitarlessons.com/s/mojam.mp3

That's great!..the riff you started and built on from around 0.47 was really, really cool. The whole thing flowed really well!..impressive for being asleep! :embarrassed:

I like this kind of progression for practise as it forces me to to be aware of the changes :)

Thanks Mo! I'm trying to get my brain back in gear musically..I have my first gig in a month tonight and nothing really seems to be flowing this morning.it took about 20 minutes to get the take I kept and some of the earlier ones were pretty rough.

One thing that I felt like was that the progression steers you places that you might not ordinarily go and if you are rusty playing there it can paint you into a corner. It's a good challenge in terms of trying to keep a melody going when the chords get a little challenging. In a jazz or blues this wouldn't be that hard to play over but trying to keep it more "rock" and less noodly was a challenge for me for some reason. I was really playing way to many notes to start with.

Thanks Mo! I'm trying to get my brain back in gear musically..I have my first gig in a month tonight and nothing really seems to be flowing this morning.it took about 20 minutes to get the take I kept and some of the earlier ones were pretty rough.

One thing that I felt like was that the progression steers you places that you might not ordinarily go and if you are rusty playing there it can paint you into a corner. It's a good challenge in terms of trying to keep a melody going when the chords get a little challenging. In a jazz or blues this wouldn't be that hard to play over but trying to keep it more "rock" and less noodly was a challenge for me for some reason. I was really playing way to many notes to start with.

Cool, I made up the progression in about 5 minutes :embarrassed:..almost a deliberate exercise in going somewhere I wouldn't usually go, without making it too weird. :embarrassed:..I already do enough of "too weird" when writing. :embarrassed:

Cool, I made up the progression in about 5 minutes :embarrassed:..almost a deliberate exercise in going somewhere I wouldn't usually go, without making it too weird. :embarrassed:..I already do enough of "too weird" when writing. :embarrassed:

It's definitely a good exercise for this sort of thing...I'm going to try another whack at it when I more warmed up later today :)

I'll take a stab at this after a couple beers.
that progression concerns me though.
but I'll wing it, and all will be fine :wink:

'sides, I got some Judas Priest playing right now, and I ain't interrupting that for nuthin'

liking everyopnes takes so far.
couple more beers, and I'll be ready to give it a go.
got kinda sidetracked with doggie stuff

yeah, I think I'm gonna skip this one :lol:
everything I tried just didn't fit.

maybe after another 8 beers or so

OK, here's my take...I can go back and listen to the others now.

http://soundcloud.com/mnewb1/mosjam

Nice job!..kept it tasteful and melodic throughout. I have to say, you've improved a HECK of a lot from when I first remember hear you play :)

All I can say is, Mohsin, WOW, I should have stayed at home on this one.

Thanks! :)

yeah, I think I'm gonna skip this one :lol:
everything I tried just didn't fit.

maybe after another 8 beers or so

:poke:

yeah, sorry.
never made it that far into the beers.
got distracted with toy stuff & doggie stuff.
but I got 10 canned friends here who might help me pull this off today :wink:

Well, I am actually home today, and haven't touched a guitar in a week... I guess I'll take a listen and see if I have any inspiration...

Back