A/E Endpin Jack Strap Problem

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
One problem I find with the Epiphone is that the strap button/input jack is rather large and has only a thin indentation for the strap to secure to; most straps have to small a hole and too thick of a leather end. I was searching online and found this at Elderly Instruments:
sk1.jpg

You thread this through the strap hole, place the holes around the end pin, and the slide the nylon clip into the slot on the jack. At $10.00, I decided to take a chance. I'll report back when I get it. For more details on how it works, go to http://www.elderly.com/strap-keeper-strap-lock-for-instruments-with-large-endpin-jacks.htm

I have one of those and it works okay, but it has a tendency to come lose over time. Last time I was at Gruhn I picked this up and it works much better:

http://www.acousticstrapsecure.com/what-is-a-s-s/

I was looking at those, and may consider it later. Here is a video for what I bought:

If this is a common problem, I wonder why more isn't said about it. My Lunas had the jack below the end pin, so I never experienced this problem before. You'd think they would either redesign the end pin jack or design straps that accommodate these jacks.

I guess I've never thought about it before, because once I plug into the endpin jack, the strap becomes more secure. Of course when I'm on the acoustic, I'm generally playing one or 2 songs, and then I'm done, so I'm not stressing it over a couple of hours.

I guess I've never thought about it before, because once I plug into the endpin jack, the strap becomes more secure. Of course when I'm on the acoustic, I'm generally playing one or 2 songs, and then I'm done, so I'm not stressing it over a couple of hours.
Yeah, I often do 2-3 hour gigs, plus I am not always plugged in, especially when practicing at home. This will help me feel a bit more relaxed.

I've got one (the strap keeper). Very happy with it, though I haven't exactly put it through strenuous testing.

Whoever designed that endpin jack should be shot.

I've got one (the strap keeper). Very happy with it, though I haven't exactly put it through strenuous testing.

Whoever designed that endpin jack should be shot.
I don't know about shot, but...

I had an acoustic/electric in the 80's that I seem to remember had an endpin jack; it was bigger that the usual strap button but had a taper similar to the standard button.

I put Dunlop Strap locks on everything. The thing about those type plugs is that the strap will eventually unscrew it on the inside of the guitar, which is what happen to mine on my Bragg pickup.

Not sure if this would be helpful because it sounds like you might not have enough sticking out of the guitar to fit this and the strap, but one of the rubber gaskets from one of these makes a pretty good strap lock.

Grolsch_premium_lager_bottle_unopened.jpg

Gary, you talked me into it, you silver tongued Folkster, you. My Epi Dreadnaught has a dual output for running stereo, and one of the jacks (the endpin jack) was bigger than the 2nd one. I've altered a couple of straps to fit it, but with your last picture, I decided to take the plunge, because your endpin looks exactly like mine.

Gary, you talked me into it, you silver tongued Folkster, you. My Epi Dreadnaught has a dual output for running stereo, and one of the jacks (the endpin jack) was bigger than the 2nd one. I've altered a couple of straps to fit it, but with your last picture, I decided to take the plunge, because your endpin looks exactly like mine.
Gee, and here I thought I gave up being a shill...:grin:

Ah, I was just wondering about this myself. My Dobro Hound Dog has that end pin jack and I have been putting off adapting the strap I bought due to this issue. So does that do the trick?

Back