GPOTD 9.12.17

It's fugly and quite expensive, but I would definitely play that fucker.

I've been looking for a suitable electric slide guitar, and that would certainly fit the bill.

It sounds great, but I've heard similar slide tones on Strats, SGs, Teles, Les Pauls, ES's, and more with singles, HBs, P-90s, min-HBs, G&L MFDs, and more. A great player can get great tones out of most guitars, with the guitar only a part of the equation...what amp is he using? Any effects? It's quite cool to me, but it's another one of those countless things where the player is (somewhat understandably) buying into the notion there's only one way or a "right" way to get whatever that sound is they want to hear.

None of this is to say that I am above this myself. Santana solidified my interest in PRS guitars, despite most of my favorite stuff from him being played on SGs, LPs, and Yamahas (as well as heavily using Strats in the studio). And Clapton got me wanting Strats. But I played a few Super Strats along the way. And Teles, well I love the way they looked and sound, but it took me a long time to get around to playing/owning one and variants there of. Anyway, I gave up trying to sound like anyone ages ago, so while I love several artist models or artist spec'd guitars, I wouldn't buy them to sound like them. I'd consider and wouldn't shy away from buying them based on liking the sounds they offer me. I love Steve Morse as a player and really want Morse MM guitar, but I won't sound like him at all when I play it...nor would I try to.

Certainly sounds really nice. Especially for slide which I guess it's built for. Palm muting might be a little tricky on it. Overall, I like it.

Back