80/20's vs. Phosphor-Bronze?

shoeless

Riffin'
I've used Phosphor-Bronze for as long as I can remember, but picked up a pack of 80/20s this weekend on sale. Figured I'd give them a try.

What do you guys use and why?

Phosphor bronze. 80/20s are usually brighter and thinner than I like

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Phosphor Bronze. They make my fingers look like I don't know how to use a pencil. 80/20 makes my hand look like I've been coloring on it with an entire box of pencils.

80-2os only for a one time recording or live gig. To me they sound the best but go dead quickly.
For reg use Pho-Bronze, tho nowadays I use Elixers cause they last so long

I like the phosphor bronze. Just sounds better on my guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I've always liked Phosphor Bronze too. These were cheap (Martin strings), so I'll give 'em a shot. At least I didn't by a crate of 'em.

It really depends on the guitar. 80/20 can really ring out well on a darker toned guitar and can help cut a mix better. Then on other guitars they sound terrible. I like PhoBro myself.

It just depends on the guitar. Even different brands of phosphor bronze or 80/20 work better than others on some guitars.

My cedar-top Seagull sounds great with 80/20s but squeaks too much. Elixir Polyweb 80/20s fixed that. The slight deadening of sound versus uncoated 80/20 is worth it to lose the squeak.

I thought the Guild D4 would sound great with phosphor bronze. It didn't. It sounded dead with them. I stumbled across some sort of unusual GHS "vintage bronze" that sounded amazing for one pack. I have a hard time finding them easily, though. Elixir 80/20s sound good enough on it now.

The Taylor and Martin sound best with phosphor bronze. The Taylor loves John Pearse strings (and cheap Webstrings -- go figure). The Martin doesn't seem to care too much about brands. It's very happy with Pearse so I just stock up on those.

I don't think about discoloration.

Back