7 FOOLPROOF WAYS TO SPOT A FAKE BBQ JOINT

Mmmmm. Now I want BBQ. I nearly OD'd on it when I was in Texas for the F1 race. Nothing on Earth can beat real Texas dry rub brisket BBQ.

They do that (burgers on English Muffins) down the street from my house.

Good shit. Place is called "The Rusty Moose". It's the place that Les Paul's grandson owns, as a matter of fact.

My favorite is the burger with a mozarella cheese wheel, marinara sauce and a fried egg on top, stuffed in between a toasted English Muffin with a little raw onion.
Fucking awesome!

I think that might have been a fake article. :i:

The points aren't completely false but pretty elementary overall. And some people actually like their ribs "fall off the bone" which makes a pitmaster itchy because competition bbq requires some pull. But you can get them that tender on the smoker. You dont have to boil them. And some bbq is actually sauced before coming to the table. Actually it is glazed during the cooking process. It depends on the region. And yes, I am now hungry for bbq.

Fake BBQ places don't last long around here, but the McRibwich keeps coming back.

ribwich.gif

I think that might have been a fake article. :i:

The points aren't completely false but pretty elementary overall. And some people actually like their ribs "fall off the bone" which makes a pitmaster itchy because competition bbq requires some pull. But you can get them that tender on the smoker. You dont have to boil them. And some bbq is actually sauced before coming to the table. Actually it is glazed during the cooking process. It depends on the region. And yes, I am now hungry for bbq.
Yeah, I've definitely seen some stuff about real BBQ places and competitions that make this article look like it's written by somebody who might have eaten ribs at Applebee's once and hates everything about those ribs.

Here's my (unappologetically racist) measuring stick: If I walk into a barbecue joint and I see that it's staffed totally by skinny Asians, I'm outta there! OTOH, if I walk in and see that it's staffed totally by 300lb+ African Americans, I know I'm gonna get the real stuff!

This is making me miss my smoker even more......I don't even have a grill right now.

I did do some baby-back fibs in the oven (they were on sale) and they came out quite nicely. No where remotely close to smoked....but pretty good none the less.

....and there is a good real deal BBQ place ten minutes drive from here....hmmmm....

This is making me miss my smoker even more......I don't even have a grill right now.

I did do some baby-back fibs in the oven (they were on sale) and they came out quite nicely. No where remotely close to smoked....but pretty good none the less.

....and there is a good real deal BBQ place ten minutes drive from here....hmmmm....
I wish I had a smoker. My wife's best friend, Mike, has one. Well, Mike smoked a turkey once when we were staying at his place once. OMG, that was a few years ago and I still literally have dreams about that turkey. I'll wake up and go to my wife "I want Mike's smoked turkey." LOL

We just ate up the last bit of smoked brisket I had in the freezer - this weekend it will be time to crank up the smoker again, maybe do a big ol' pork butt.

How long does it take to cook ribs on one of those smokers, and are you using electric or propane smokers? I've been contemplating getting a propane grill, but could be talked into a smoker instead...

Properly cooked ribs may pull or tear clean off the bone, but they should never slide off.

I’m calling bullshit on that one. I used to go to an incredible BBQ joint that was just a big shack with folding chairs because the owner spent all his startup money on custom-built cast iron smokers that made up the back wall. His ribs would melt in your damned mouth and the flavor was fucking incredible. Sadly he sold the business years ago and it tanked after.

My signs for good BBQ:
• The restaurant looks like shit because they spend money on good pork instead of decorating.
• The sides are collards, biscuits, mashed potatoes, and the only dessert is sweet potato soufflé. No fucking chicken, salads, or curly fries.
• You have to wait around for them to pull some meat out of the smokers because it’s done when it’s done.
• There is a one person handling the pork. That person owns the place. The other staff just cook sides and clean up.

How long does it take to cook ribs on one of those smokers, and are you using electric or propane smokers? I've been contemplating getting a propane grill, but could be talked into a smoker instead...
Dude....electric or propane ? Might as well just buy a bottle of liquid smoke and be done.
Smoke comes from burning real wood, in the firebox on the side of the smoker.
FullSmokerOpen.jpg

And the ribs are done when they are done, damnit. Roughly 2-4 hours at ~185 deg or so, depending on how well you control the heat. If it was easy then anyone could do it. I recommend a good fruit wood; apple, pear, etc.

Back