GPOTD 7/21/2017...

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
Here's something understated in a color that I know @Help!I'maRock! would love...

Suhr Custom Modern Distinctive Select

p3_uw5apz10l_so.jpg

p1_ukqcfi3q1_so.jpg

p5_uoftbqdn3_so.jpg

p2_ukzxybrts_so.jpg

p4_uh0b22dab_so.jpg

p6_u3pjqjrby_so.jpg

https://www.gbase.com/gear/suhr-custom-modern-distinctive-select-faded-trans-green-burst
https://www.gbase.com/gear/suhr-custom-modern-distinctive-select-faded-trans-green-burst

The Distinctive Select Series is a year-round collection of Suhr guitars built exclusively for Distinctive Guitar. Every guitar in the Distinctive Select series feature woods that we hand picked straight from Suhr's Private Stock vault. No expense is spared as we personally spec every aspect of the guitar to create instruments that are masterpieces, both visually and sonically. Each of these limited edition pieces features a Distinctive Select engraving on the headstock along with a custom 12th fret inlay you won't get anywhere else.

A beautifully figured Waterfall Burl Maple top and Swamp Ash body are at the core of this stunning Suhr Modern Distinctive Select. Moreover, the figuring in the custom Cocobolo accents is unreal (be sure to check out the HD photos!). Suhr's hand-wired pickups have a highly versatile and dynamic character that makes them ideal for the stage and studio alike, with a pronounced midrange and exceptional bass, as well as a delicacy that makes them perfect for low-volume playing. The versatility here is astounding, and cherry on top is the stunning cosmetic touches that are exclusive to DG, such as the custom 12th fret inlay, and laser engraved headstock.

Specs:

Swamp Ash Body
Waterfall Burl Maple Carve Top
Faded Trans Green Burst Finish
Scraped Binding
Pau Ferro Neck
Mexican Kingwood Fingerboard
10"-14" Radius
Modern Elliptical Neck Carve .80-.85"
Matching Original Headstock
24 SS Jumbo Frets
MoP Logo/Side Dots
Custom 12th Fret Inlay
DG Select Laser Engraving
Standard Wiring, 5-way Blade
Push/Pull Coil Split
SSV/ML/SSH + Pickups
Cocobolo Knobs & Cavity Covers & Pickup Covers
Chrome Hardware
Custom Wood Spec Sheet

I clicked the link thinking $6K as the page loaded...it's just shy of $7K. Fuck that! I can get a custom shop Martin for that kind of cash...or, better yet, get a custom Larrivee.

Also, I don't care for the Modern body profile. I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of flamed swamp ash before...that is some gorgeous wood.

I love the paint job but hate the color they chose.
Also, I'm not sure what's up with the pickup covers...it looks like humbucker sized covers but the body looks routes for single coils...it that's what they in fact did....I hate it. It looks cheesy and for this kind of coin, that's half assed work.
BUT. It is a gorgeous piece of machinery.
However, I can think of a ton of things I'd rather spend that kind of money on.

Also, I'm not sure what's up with the pickup covers...it looks like humbucker sized covers but the body looks routes for single coils...it that's what they in fact did....I hate it. It looks cheesy and for this kind of coin, that's half assed work.
The pickup routs are so you can access the adjustment screws...perhaps not the BEST solution, but a necessary feature of the build...

What color is the body, vomit burst?

I'm sure Suhr makes a very nice guitar, but something about them has always put me off.

The pickup routs are so you can access the adjustment screws...perhaps not the BEST solution, but a necessary feature of the build...
Could they not have just made a standard humbucker route?
I understand the SC route but it looks like the neck and bridge are SC pups with a wooden humbucker cover over it?
That said, I know nothing about guitar building so...

I understand the SC route but it looks like the neck and bridge are SC pups with a wooden humbucker cover over it?

It kind of is a standard humbucker route. They just rounded it more to match the route of the single coil pickup.

It is a standard way of doing it...I think the woodgrain pickup covers call more attention to it...were they black open coils the rout shape would be less noticeable...

Back