Help! 5F1 Amp Build

Goldtop11

Mojo & Blues
Hello everyone!
I'm seeking a little advice. I recently decided I want to take a stab at building my own guitar amp. My goal is to actually get good enough to make tweaks and somewhat design my own, but I need somewhere to start.

After looking at some stuff online, I really want to try and build a 5F1 Champ style amp, since it looks pretty easy and I really dig simple low watt amps. However, I've got a handful of problems.

First off, I'm on a budget. I'd really like to get the actual amp together for $150 or less. To reduce cost, there's a few things I'm not needing. My dad is an expert wood worker, so I can make a cabinet for the amp myself. I also plan on making it a head, so I won't need to worry about a speaker. I'm hoping this helps with cutting cost. I'm finding some kits for these, but they're all more expensive than $150 and include stuff I don't need (cab and speaker) or less than $150, but seem to be missing crucial stuff. (Like a transformer)

The second problem is that I know almost nothing about this. My knowledge on electronics is only what your average guitar players is. I know terms like wattage, ohm and potentiometer, but a wiring schematic looks like nonsense hieroglyphics to me. I thought it would be neat (and possibly save money) to source all the components myself and make my own little board, but the turret boards and chassis look very specifically laid out.

Anyways, say all that to say this, does anybody have experience building amps that could point me to some good resources for this? I've looked all over the internet and it seems to either be stuff from pros that is way over my head or step by step instructions for a specific kit companies build. I'm open to any suggestions such as other circuits to try or complete kits that fit my budget that I may have missed. Thanks!

Several us have built amps and you can find the threads on this forum. Just use the search engine. I myself will build from either a kit (pending who made it) or source part sections from different companies to build what I want in terms of components that go into the build. A few members here have built cabinets as well as fabricated the chassis as well. In fact IIRC there is even a thread on how to get started on building amps here. The normal disclaimer is be careful when you are working with tube amps as the voltages used can be lethal. Read up on the knowledge that the others have given in terms of books for the beginner. Unfortunately I can't recommend one as I was schooled in electronics as well as was an instructor in a JC.

However my first recommendation would be to build a few pedal boxes before attempting an amp.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I kind of had a feeling I wasn't going to get out of this for less that $150, but I'll still poke around. I didn't even think to use the search specific for this forum. thwap0

I'll look around and see what I can find. :thu:

Ok, I lowered my standards a bit, lol. I found this video and think this is a good start. My only problem is that I can't really read the schematic and I can't find a list of parts that I can pick up. I was hoping to stop by Radioshack and pick up what I need. Can anybody break down what I components I actually need to make this?
punch.png

Ok, I lowered my standards a bit, lol. I found this video and think this is a good start. My only problem is that I can't really read the schematic and I can't find a list of parts that I can pick up. I was hoping to stop by Radioshack and pick up what I need. Can anybody break down what I components I actually need to make this?
punch.png

Resistors
3.3M ohms
3.9Kohms
10K ohms

Capacitor
1uFd Ceramic
220uFd @25V electrolytic

FET Transistor
MPF102

IC
TDA7052

Misc
Wire
Protoboard
8 ohm speaker
Battery Clip
Solder
Soldering Iron
Assorted Tools

Resistors
3.3M ohms
3.9Kohms
10K ohms

Capacitor
1uFd Ceramic
220uFd @25V electrolytic

FET Transistor
MPF102

IC
TDA7052

Misc
Wire
Protoboard
8 ohm speaker
Battery Clip
Solder
Soldering Iron
Assorted Tools

I will suggest one of those table top magnifying glasses too. Unless you eyesight it awesome. Mine isn't what it used to be and I don't think I could solder up a pedal without one these days.

Thanks guys! You're all awesome! Unfortunately they didn't have the TDA7052 at Radioshack, so I had to switch up what I was building. :( I was able to get all the parts for this though.
F56LOX1G2HDWDQA.MEDIUM.jpg

I'm not doing the 5 tone dip switch thing. Any suggestions for laying out this on a perfboard?

Ok, so which side are the negative and positives on the caps supposed to go on? Or does it matter? I can tell on my caps which is which, I just can't tell on this schematic. I can't find anything online to help either since this is a slightly cartoon-ized schematic.
F56LOX1G2HDWDQA.LARGE.jpg

Back