5 Solid State Amps That Don't Suck

I had a amp that belongs on this list. The Trace Elliott Super Tramp. British made 2 channel 80 watt amp. Separate controls for each channel with reverb. Great cleans and great overdrive. It was on loan to me for a couple of years and I hated to return it.

TraceElliot.jpg

I played a Roland jazz chorus for a while.. nice sound but the weight was tooo much. I didn't have the luxury of the casters which should be standard on those tanks.

I always thought the JC120 was light as a feather, especially compared to its tube rival the Twin Reverb. Then there's my Ampeg VT22, which has its own gravitational pull.

I had a amp that belongs on this list. The Trace Elliott Super Tramp. British made 2 channel 80 watt amp. Separate controls for each channel with reverb. Great cleans and great overdrive. It was on loan to me for a couple of years and I hated to return it.

TraceElliot.jpg

I had a combo version of this amp. It had a 12ax7 in the pre-amp for distortion, though. It was great sounding amp.

I am happy with my Vox Pathfinder.:shrug:
All I need is a practice amp anyway.

they also left out the Crate Power Block......they're very good sounding rock amps, small, light and easy on the $$, when you can find one these days.

I would love one. Found the head in the local CL, but I'd rather have a combo.
1970's Roland Jazz Chorus 120 head (Japan) $400
00u0u_6DXdT9wmHa8_600x450.jpg
Oooooh, I don't have a JC Head unit, but that's a cool find.

I now have 4 JC's though...

A pair of 120's, a 77 and a 55

Reactions: Tig
I find the omission of the Peavey Bandit...disturbing...
Agreed - those are great amps.

I had not heard of the "quilter" before - looks like a power block, which I do own and think is the single most useful piece of gigging gear I own, and never use.

That tech 21 fly rig looks cool.

Interesting comment on the youtube video section:
---
kmisi1
2 days ago
is there any difference between this one and richie kotzen's personal fly rig?
·
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Tech21nyc

2 days ago
Yes there is. In place of the Plexi section, is Richie's signature overdrive. We've been developing it with him for almost a year now. Stay tuned for more details later in the year.
----

Now that I finally found one - got to add in the Vox 15R. Will not do metal - but a warm golden clean, and the king of crunch.

PATHFINDER_5.JPG

Back