$487 in Reverb bucks, what to buy?

Grant Gross

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Sold a bunch of pedals on Reverb, now I have $487 in Reverb bucks.

Tempted to buy a Fender Duo Sonic HS in surf or canary, but I already have a Pawn Shop Mustang, a Mustang 90, and a Cyclone.

p1_uwhll1fbz_so.jpg

0144023563_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.jpg

Also tempted by a short-scale base, a vocoder pedal, and this:

I played the Duo Sonic at GC again last night. Still disappointed in it. Each time I try one, I hope I’ll like it better than the last, but they are still just ok.

I played the Duo Sonic at GC again last night. Still disappointed in it. Each time I try one, I hope I’ll like it better than the last, but they are still just ok.

What is it about the Duo Sonic that you don't like?

What is it about the Duo Sonic that you don't like?

The finish on the neck, it would not stay in tune (last night I tuned it up, stretched the strings and retuned), the pickups didn’t sound good. I mean, if I found one for $200 I may bite, but for $400-$500 it needs some work before I’d be happy. Which sucks because I had one of the Pawn Shop Mustangs with the Wide Range Humbuckers and that was a good guitar out of the box.

The finish on the neck, it would not stay in tune (last night I tuned it up, stretched the strings and retuned), the pickups didn’t sound good. I mean, if I found one for $200 I may bite, but for $400-$500 it needs some work before I’d be happy. Which sucks because I had one of the Pawn Shop Mustangs with the Wide Range Humbuckers and that was a good guitar out of the box.

Yeah, my Pawn Shop Mustang is a great guitar.

That's odd, because the Duo Sonic's sister guitar, my Mustang 90, is a solid guitar. It stays in tune decently (even better with a new TUSQ nut), and the pickups sound good.

Yeah, my Pawn Shop Mustang is a great guitar.

That's odd, because the Duo Sonic's sister guitar, my Mustang 90, is a solid guitar. It stays in tune decently (even better with a new TUSQ nut), and the pickups sound good.

It could have been a cursed GC guitar, but it has been the third or fourth time I’ve tried one. The others I tried were at a different GC and each time I used a different amp. I really wanted to like it because they are perfect guitars for me, but if I were to get one, I’d search for a used Pawn Shop one, those are just better.

Those AC10s are fantastic, with surprisingly good low end, and yes, quite Voxy :thu:

Also, if you can hold out, the new Marshall DSLs are coming out soon, including a new 1-watt combo that'll clock in at under $500.

Oh, that Marshall one-watter sounds interesting.

ixnay on teh Duosonic.

However, you like short-scale FMIC offsets, and you say you're looking at basses? May I tell you that as a long time FMIC gear whore, one of the better recent buys I've had is my Mustang P/J bass. Terrific pickups, and just a nice, solid short scale bass.

Reactions: Tig
ixnay on teh Duosonic.

However, you like short-scale FMIC offsets, and you say you're looking at basses? May I tell you that as a long time FMIC gear whore, one of the better recent buys I've had is my Mustang P/J bass. Terrific pickups, and just a nice, solid short scale bass.

Yeah, one of those has been on my radar screen.

Back