WTF: 37 of playing guitar and last night was a first...

OGG

Master of the Meh
It's never happened before. Ever.

I BROKE a Dunlop Nylon pick. Broke it.

It didn't crack, didn't tear... it broke. Took a perfectly inverted "v" out of the tip... which made it like a really cool "double tip pick". I may have been playing with enthusiasm beyond the norm. I was right in the middle of a guitar solo I never got to play in the old band and... pop!

Didn't even know such was possible. I've worn plenty of them out, but that was some freaky shit man.

IT BROKE AGAIN!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

9e9ebcdd6be93ec843fd04badb768725.jpg

Been awhile since I actually broke one.

I would think the picks are old and brittle at this point. Certainly not "fresh"........maybe get a new batch from a different store.

IME, nylon picks bend pretty well. I've ripped a few through the years, but it was mostly by mis-use......you know, doing a Who move or something along those lines.....

Nylon is sensitive to UV rays. They do get brittle over time but it takes a while...
This one was my "outdoors" thin pick for a while now. It sits in direct sunlight a lot. Good call Garth!
How heavy are your strings?
Not very, the guitars I played that night had 9s or 10s.
You've never broken a pick before? Do you even play guitar?
Not a Nylon pick. Didn't even think that was possible. I've broken standard flat picks before.
Been awhile since I actually broke one.

I would think the picks are old and brittle at this point. Certainly not "fresh"........maybe get a new batch from a different store.

IME, nylon picks bend pretty well. I've ripped a few through the years, but it was mostly by mis-use......you know, doing a Who move or something along those lines.....
This thing could be ten years old for I know. I haven't bought Dunlops since I switched to Herco in 2008.

I've torn a few doing crazy pick slides though...
Plus, that pick is thin as shit and looks like it's 40 years old.
Right now I'm using a 2 mm.
Super thin. I usually use the .72 or .88

I can't use thicker picks because my arthritis in my thumb is so bad that I can barely grip a pick at all. The kick back from a thicker pick sends them flying immediately.

This is also why I use the Nylon with the little grippies... standard, smooth picks fly right out of my hand. It sucks.

I broke a Dunlop stubby (small and thick) on my first year of playing.
It was on a friend's guitar, he was in a Wes Montgomery phase and strung it with flatwounds 13's.

I can't use thicker picks because my arthritis in my thumb is so bad that I can barely grip a pick at all. The kick back from a thicker pick sends them flying immediately.

This is also why I use the Nylon with the little grippies... standard, smooth picks fly right out of my hand. It sucks.

That blows, man. Thumb mojo.

Back