3 Holes vs 2 holes, or 1 hole for that matter

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
.....ok get yer mind outa the gutter *spits* :mad:

We're talkin' pour over coffee here. NOW first let say I'm not unfamiliar with teh POC method, hell I probably been doing it off and on since some of you were knee hight to a grasshopper. Since the early 1990's I've had a friend who never even owned an auto machine, just a basic plastic Melitta POC he would take the thing camping and use it at home (I don't recall he even owned an electric machine) and I always though "weirdo" why not join the 20th century and use an auto machine.
Myself first used POC method as far back as probably 1990 and in fact I still have the device, a single cup gold thingy I bought at a camping store made by MSR outdoor products...anyway

As you might recall my Plumber thread recently I decided it's time to stop rinsing grinds into the sink (after giving a tap and pour in the garbage first)....soooo I have decided it's time to retire or at least semi retire the Kuerig machine and go minimalist (which is/has been an ongoing trend in all aspects of my life over the past year) and since I already have an electric tea kettle I took the plunge, did my usual investigative research before purchasing and I chose one with three holes *tee hee hee* I chose the Kalita Wave 155 which is the smaller bro to the bigger 185. The filters are like larger cupcake "cups" The wave 155 looks like it'll fit a wide rage of cup size openings due to it's design and on my first brew I had no problem making a primo cuppajoe

here is the 185 and 155

wavecomparison_grande.jpg

I just really like the design and the fact they are steel (much more durable and or portable than a ceramic or glass). It also seems to be distinct in design with it's flat bottom vs a conical shape of most others.

The hario v60 gets mentioned a lot as well but pretty much these two seem to be at the top or list reviews. The Bee House also looks good and it has two holes.

So that's my shitty review

What do ya'll use ? *paging yabba*

Here's a comparison of the v60 vs the wave 185

I like the Melitta #2 cone filter. But I had to stop drinking coffee as that much caffeine at once can turn me into a hypomanic asshole.

What do ya'll use ? *paging yabba
Those look nice!

I've been on a black tea kick lately for my caffeine delivery, and when I occasionally make coffee at home, it's generally espresso, but when I do pour over I use some shitty Italian thing that's a conical very thin steel contraption. We also had a chemex that I liked a lot until I broke it. It made a very smooth cup of coffee (which is of course not always what one is looking for); I think the magic was in the chemex filters, which are basically just good lab filter paper squares and can be used with any conical pour over apparatus, so the overly-fragile glass chemex thing seems kinda silly.

I use a Melitta #1 filter and cones and have been doing so for at least 20 years. Since I only normally have one cup a day (albeit a 16 oz or so cup), that makes the most sense for me. I drink a lot of coffee in a lot of places, and there are few cups that truly compete with pouring boiling water over freshly ground coffee in a melitta.

[In Frank Costanza voice] I hate that he calls those things "coffee makers". They just hold a filter, that's it! I still have to do all the work Estelle!!

6809c50611812b243447cf0a2f8de7f1-frank-costanza.jpg

Those look nice!

I've been on a black tea kick lately for my caffeine delivery, and when I occasionally make coffee at home, it's generally espresso, but when I do pour over I use some shitty Italian thing that's a conical very thin steel contraption. We also had a chemex that I liked a lot until I broke it. It made a very smooth cup of coffee (which is of course not always what one is looking for); I think the magic was in the chemex filters, which are basically just good lab filter paper squares and can be used with any conical pour over apparatus, so the overly-fragile glass chemex thing seems kinda silly.
Tea is great too. If I ever had to choose between giving up tea/coffee vs beer/wine/booze I would easily give up the booze. coffee and tea are just too nice....life would not be worth living without either :embarrassed:

Tea is great too. If I ever had to choose between giving up tea/coffee vs beer/wine/booze I would easily give up the booze. coffee and tea are just too nice....life would not be worth living without either :embarrassed:

Absolutely. I have a wine rack with eight or nine bottles of excellent CA wines (just got a shipment from Marimar Estate wine club), and several beers that have been sitting in the fridge for months, but I want a cup of coffee every morning and a nice cup of herb tea before bed at night...

I mainly use my Aeropress as more of a pour-over. I find that if I just pour the water in and then press it, my coffee isn't as strong as I like it. Plus I make a 14oz coffee most days, and the Aeropress only holds 10 oz if you pour water all the way to the lip. So I pour in 9 oz of water stir, and let it drip by itself until I can pour in the rest of the water. Then, I can either let it drip the rest of the way, or put the plunger in and then pull up slightly, creating a vacuum so the coffee/water mix can sit there and 'brew' for a longer time. Either way it makes my coffee the way I like it.

I had a plastic Melitta pour-over device, and for some reason I could never get my coffee to taste like I wanted it to. It always tasted too weak to me :shrug: I'm sure I was probably doing something wrong.

I mainly use my Aeropress as more of a pour-over. I find that if I just pour the water in and then press it, my coffee isn't as strong as I like it. Plus I make a 14oz coffee most days, and the Aeropress only holds 10 oz if you pour water all the way to the lip. So I pour in 9 oz of water stir, and let it drip by itself until I can pour in the rest of the water. Then, I can either let it drip the rest of the way, or put the plunger in and then pull up slightly, creating a vacuum so the coffee/water mix can sit there and 'brew' for a longer time. Either way it makes my coffee the way I like it.

I had a plastic Melitta pour-over device, and for some reason I could never get my coffee to taste like I wanted it to. It always tasted too weak to me :shrug: I'm sure I was probably doing something wrong.
sounds like you just prefer the taste of what most people would think of as over-extracted coffee. (which is fine; to each their own; yadda yadda yadda. I like my black tea pretty over-extracted.)

Back