3 Amps you Sold/Traded & Wish you had back

Woody_in_MN

Coptic Orthodox Deacon
So thinking about the many amps I have had, then sold, or traded since I started playing electric about 10 years ago (I started on drums, then went to keyboard, then guitar) there are 3 pretty special amps that come to mind:

1) Peavey Red Strip Bandit - I traded this. Don't remember for what. I missed it so bad I bought another one and promised myself never to sell it.

2) Tech21 TradeMark 30 - Kept it for a couple years and ended up selling it to JelloMan. Again, over time I got another one used, and still have it.

3) Kustom Defender 15 Head - kept one for a year or so, then sold it on eBay. I don't know, something about that amp was really appealing. Basic controls - but could run on 1/2 power or full 15 watts. Tube amp. Just had a very appealing character of tone. Still kind of miss this one.

How about you all?

- w

I have a Marshall Valvestate AVT100 1x12 Combo. Hybrid SS/Tube. I got it really cheap, under a hundred buck I think. I thought it sounded a little harsh, and swapped the tube to a 12AY7, and now I absolutely love it. Will never sell that AVT100.

Fender Twin Reverb

...that I sold to buy a....

Mesa Boogie Mark III Combo

...that I sold to pay rent for a few months. :(

My Mesa Mark I reissue head, Allen Hot Fudge and my SF Princeton.

I have never played a tube Princeton. I have a Princeton setting on my little SS Champ and I like that voicing. Got a little more bite then some of the Fenders I've heard, but still has good definition.

All the amps I sold were old Fenders I either broke even on or made serious profit. A Blues Deluxe that went from zero to LOUD. And a Peavey Basic 60 that I made money on.

So no regrets.

There's only one that still wish I had--Marshall SS 50W combo.

I've owned that one twice. Once when I was a teenager. Then again about 8 years ago. I ended up giving it to a kid that was starting to play guitar. I find myself pausing when I see one for sale. :) They're great and I think Brian Krashpad has one currently. It was basically a JCM800 solid state combo.

Blues Pearl Texas Tornado - selling this one hurt the worst

Mid 80’s Mesa Boogie Mk III

Victoria 20112

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Marshall 3203 Artist head with a Silver Jubilee 2x12 (1966B) matching cabinet. One of the smaller, club size 1/2 stacks. 30 watts, EL34 but solid state preamp with a 12ax7 phase inverter. Really wish I hadn't sold that one. I've been chasing that tail ever since. Bought it new in 1988 I think. Played tons of gigs with it and sold it in 2002. It sat so nice in a mix. Sounded like a really great old JCM800 with a little more gain on tap.
Had a Hughes and Kettner Duotone that was just fantastic. 100w head but it did any volume like it was cookin'
had an old misspelled "presense" Sovtek Mig 50. Like an old Bassman.

Just two:

1974 Super Reverb that I had modded to blackface specs
1987 100 watt Marshal Silver Jubilee.

:(

I don’t miss these guys that much:

1966 Bassman
1964 Vox AC50
My other 1964 Silvertone 1484
Mesa Studio Preamp and ADA MP-1 rack system.

Mark is constantly pining over that blingy Marshall...

Only one I really miss is a Pro Jr. It was a sweet little thing, and I’m not sure why I decided to sell it...

Honestly none. I've bought/built ~12 amps in nearly 30 years of playing noodling. I've sold 8 of them. Some I loved (but don't need back), some I hated, one I was indifferent about and one that blow up and was stolen by the tech.

The three I liked the most (but don't need back)...'60 Tweed Deluxe, '78 Deluxe Reverb, '01 Allen Accomplice

There's only ONE that I REALLY regret letting go, and it was a very early 80s (I'm guessing 80 or 81) Music Man combo. I'm not even sure anymore which exact model it was, but it was fairly small (1x10 or maybe 1x12) and loud as Hell with a KILLER tone that absolutely did not suit my playing at the time. That thing was incredible.

Every now and then I mildly sort of regret unloading the VOX AC-30, but then I remember what an unwieldy beast it was to lug around, and being louder than reason calls for, and that passes real quick. I wouldn't mind picking up an AC-15 though. I almost scored one for cheap this past weekend from a friend of my oldest son, but before I got the message, the stupid kid took it down to the local mom and pop and traded it (in MINT CONDITION) PLUS CASH for a used Blues Junior.
: facepalm:

The Jet City 22 or whatever the Hell it was, was kinda neat to have around, but was of no real value to me. Once in a blue moon I ask myself why I got rid of it, but now that I have that ridiculous Carvin VLD1 Steve Vai Legacy Drive Pedal powered by a pair of 12AX7 Tubes, I have literally zero use for a valve amp like that.

Back