GPOTD 3.17.17

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
ehhpljcmp7hdaqm02puh.jpg

wkoemce4bceuhra1flby.jpg

iwbeu9yjacppyml8yodk.jpg

pyduzorofamgl87nwdvs.jpg

MUSIMA 1655HV 60s Sunburst

Model "1655" is the reincarnation of the "Record" flagship model by Musima.

The deck is made from three-layer beech plywood (with the front side of the upper layer of maple, glued of two sheets of the center line), reinforced by two diverging spring spruce. Solid beech neck is attached with two screws. 21 plus a zero fret, rosewood fret-board. Mensure is 640 mm.

This is a quite early modification, that was build in early 60's. In support of this conclusion is confirmed by the fact that this instance headstock veneered by rosewood, not mahogany, as well as a rare painting is not a traditional cherry, but yellow-brown bёrst.
This model is equipped with a spring vibrato, typical for German guitars. Unfastened bridge is made of painted beech wood, it allows you to adjust the height of the strings.

The scheme consists of two Simeto singles in metal housing with trimmers, variton-selector with four positions (rhythm, solo banjo and Shearing), and two volume controls (upper works only in the "rhythm" mode).

In terms of ergonomics, 1655 is a classic archtop, sufficiently thin and light, with a good balance and a fairly high set neck. Due to lower deck thickness compared to 1657, this guitar sounds more gently and delicately, but the flip side of the coin is less mechanical reliability and a penchant for charging is at a high volume. In general, the guitar owns a clean sound and is perfect for light rock&roll or Jazz.

https://reverb.com/item/2673660-mus...owbody-semi-soviet-gdr-german-electric-guitar

As someone who loves bursts, let me just say that THAT is a hideous burst...

...for shame...cop0

That "yellow-brown bёrst" is the wёrst.

Also, the "penchant for charging at a high volume" has me a little concerned, too.

I give it a No, thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm struggling to find something nice to say about this one.

I think I hate everything about it to be honest. From the tacky knobs to the zero fret to the bad burst job............the list just goes on and on.

That's one of those guitars that I'd prb never buy online but would check out if I saw it on the rack locally

I don't mind the look either. I do wish the burst was a smoother transition because I too, like bursts. This isn't something I think I would ever want so for me it's 2 thumbs down.

I like it.
Remove the hardware and buff out the finish with a light buffing compound. Lightly sand the headstock to clean up the veneer. Put several coats of poly on it then buff out to a high gloss. Polish the frets so you can see yourself in them and the guitar will be stunning.

I like the fact that the tailpiece includes three toothpicks a la Swiss Army Knife. I guess a prior owner lost the tweezers?

I love it visually. But no telling what those pickups sound like, if it might have intonation or tuning issues, or feedback issues.

Plus the upper neck access is pretty terrible. I'm not up there all that often, but if I can't pull octave double stops on the top two strings in A (i.e. 17th fret minimum) I wouldn't be able to use it on certain songs in the set.

If I had unlimited dosh and storage space, sure. Currently, no.

Back