2017 Subaru Impreza

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Looks kinda spiffy, imo :)

What do you guys think?

2.0L boxer engine, 152 ponies

2017-subaru-impreza-02.jpg

04-2017-subaru-impreza-5door-ny-1.jpg

I've heard they are going to be assembled in Lafayette, Indiana. I guess they make more than boilers in Lafayette, IN :embarrassed:

I think they are pretty cool and practical cars. I just wish the seats were different. Subaru seats tend to hurt me on road trips.

150 HP in that platform is snooze city. Unless you have an overwhelming need for AWD in a sedan format, it's not a very compelling car. Both the sedan and hatchback have shit for ground clearance.

OTOH, the Crosstrek is a nice compromise in size, ground clearance & utility.

My Crosstrek is pretty cool. The horsepower isn't great, but it's mainly a commuter car that will double as a long-hauler on camping trips. For that kind of stuff, it hits the sweet spot.

And after our accident, in which the whole back half of the Chevy Spark crumbled (but also kept us uninjured), it's nice to have a little bit more car around us.

Unless you have an overwhelming need for AWD in a sedan format, it's not a very compelling car. Both the sedan and hatchback have shit for ground clearance.

OTOH, the Crosstrek is a nice compromise in size, ground clearance & utility.

Yeah, we have a Honda Element and I can't imagine going back to a vehicle with low ground clearance...or regular car turning ratios. Definitely something to consider.

Last edited:
I test drove a Sub a long time ago when the 4 wheel drive thing was taking off. I liked the car but the HP and Torq was really sad. Maybe a turbo model if available. Quality wise, my brother is a firm supporter and has been for years. He's on his 3rd.

We had a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback for about 6 months.

It had 100k + on it when we bought it, but it leaked oil like a sieve, and you could hear it rusting.

Ours had a 5 speed manual transmission, and a 4 cyl boxer engine. I was never unhappy with the torque.

It was a shitty car when we bought it, though.

We got more for trade in than we paid for it, so I'm not entirely unhappy with it.

I think they are pretty cool and practical cars. I just wish the seats were different. Subaru seats tend to hurt me on road trips.
Amen to that. I'm on my third Scooby, a '15 Forester, and they've all had seats that made my ass sore after about 1.5 hours. Of course, my ass is excessively bony, so maybe it's me.

150 HP in that platform is snooze city. Unless you have an overwhelming need for AWD in a sedan format, it's not a very compelling car. Both the sedan and hatchback have shit for ground clearance.

It’s for people who live in places that get light snow and don’t plow. I never understood until I moved to Colorado.

I am seriously looking at a Crosstrek for my next car. I really like them. Probably out of my price range though - even used. Subaru's have a really high resale out here.

I like the hatchback version. I hope it has an STI variant that doesn't look too crazy for a normal adult driver.

I used to live about 5 miles from the Subaru plant in Lafayette, Indiana when I was a grad student at Purdue.

When we were shopping for a new car for my wife, we looked at the Subaru Impreza. It's a nice car, but the Hyundai we ended up with was a lot cheaper, but my wife said she still likes the Subaru more. I might get her one in the near future if finances line up right.

Back