2017 Ford Torino GT?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I wonder if they are actually gonna do this.

http://nicecarsinfo.com/ford/2016-ford-torino-gt-rumors/

Ford_Torino_Shelby_Concept.jpg

seems like it would be little too close to the mustang to be a true contender for production...besides, it's not like Ford is lacking in sporty or performance variants these days

Speaking of Ford, the white GT displayed at Detroit this past week is just pure awesome
Ford-GT-2016-NAIAS-images-19-750x500.jpg

Ford-GT-2016-NAIAS-images-4-750x563.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I always dug the Torino GT cars, especially the 1970 version with the cobra jet motor. A mean looking beast. One of our members has one. I think this car is a interesting rendering, but it has zero chance of being a production car.

The new GT40's are awesome. I've seena number of them in Cali and they are a sweet ride.

I always dug the Torino GT cars, especially the 1970 version with the cobra jet motor. A mean looking beast. One of our members has one. I think this car is a interesting rendering, but it has zero chance of being a production car.
ya mean like mine?
1971 429 SCJ
3390838649_eb544b1e2c_o.jpg

i would LOVE to see a new Torino Cobra come out. i'm just not sure the one at the top is the one i'd like to see.

also.....i'm not really in support of a new Torino, if it's just going to use the same Mustang GT engine.
the "big" Torinos (Taladegas, etc.) always had the biggest, baddest engines available.

now if they would bring one out with a 'big block' in it.......:grin:
(SVO still make the 429 SCJ blocks and cranks and......whole motor in parts)

also.....i'm not really in support of a new Torino, if it's just going to use the same Mustang GT engine.
the "big" Torinos (Taladegas, etc.) always had the biggest, baddest engines available.

now if they would bring one out with a 'big block' in it.......:grin:
(SVO still make the 429 SCJ blocks and cranks and......whole motor in parts)
Unfortunately due to CAFE rules we will never see a production car again with a large displacement motor. I think the C6 Z06 was the last one we will ever see.

Unfortunately due to CAFE rules we will never see a production car again with a large displacement motor. I think the C6 Z06 was the last one we will ever see.

yea...but the 'F' in CAFE stands for 'Fleet'. we're not talking about a fleet vehicle. we're talking about a very limited production car. if dodge can get away with a 7+ liter v-10 in the viper, why the hell can't ford get away with a 7.4 liter 429 in a torino cobra??

seems like it would be little too close to the mustang to be a true contender for production...besides, it's not like Ford is lacking in sporty or performance variants these days

Speaking of Ford, the white GT displayed at Detroit this past week is just pure awesome
Ford-GT-2016-NAIAS-images-19-750x500.jpg

Ford-GT-2016-NAIAS-images-4-750x563.jpg
looks like a Lambo.

yea...but the 'F' in CAFE stands for 'Fleet'. we're not talking about a fleet vehicle. we're talking about a very limited production car. if dodge can get away with a 7+ liter v-10 in the viper, why the hell can't ford get away with a 7.4 liter 429 in a torino cobra??
CAFE will be pushing then to get an average economy of 54MPG by 2025. That will kill off the V-10 by then. Also Europe is imposing stricter carbon emissions rules that will kill off large displacement NA motors. Everyone is going to smaller displacement boosted engines. Why do you think the Ford GT got the V-6 Turbo? It's all about economy of scale, and most automakers like to use power trains across multiple models. If you want the big motor you will have to get a crate motor and install it yourself. There are even rumors that the next version of the Corvette will have a turbo V-6.

ya mean like mine?
1971 429 SCJ
3390838649_eb544b1e2c_o.jpg

i would LOVE to see a new Torino Cobra come out. i'm just not sure the one at the top is the one i'd like to see.

Yep, that was the car I was thinking about. I missed it by a year. Anyway, I fully agree that if they are going to make a Torino cobra, it had damn well better have a monster engine in it. These were the NASCAR homologation cars back in the day, and were the top of the pile of street horsepower in their era. I wish I owned your car. badly.

Yep, that was the car I was thinking about. I missed it by a year. Anyway, I fully agree that if they are going to make a Torino cobra, it had damn well better have a monster engine in it. These were the NASCAR homologation cars back in the day, and were the top of the pile of street horsepower in their era. I wish I owned your car. badly.

it was one of the first cars that came with a factory (secret) rev limiter, which was set at around 5500 rpm. but when you found it and removed it, it would wind all the way to 7000+ rpm :eek:
i had it all the way up past the 160 mph on the speedo. crazy ass fast car. i read an article in one of the muscle car magazines several years ago where they got a bunch of the old big block muscle cars together and actually dyno'd them. the 429 SCJ NASCAR version (mine) was putting out a little over 600 HP.:eek::eek:

it was one of the first cars that came with a factory (secret) rev limiter, which was set at around 5500 rpm. but when you found it and removed it, it would wind all the way to 7000+ rpm :eek:
i had it all the way up past the 160 mph on the speedo. crazy ass fast car. i read an article in one of the muscle car magazines several years ago where they got a bunch of the old big block muscle cars together and actually dyno'd them. the 429 SCJ NASCAR version (mine) was putting out a little over 600 HP.:eek::eek:

I'm not surprised by those numbers at all. Lots of cars of the muscle car era were overrated on power, and quite a few were heavily underrated and factory tamed for homologation. 600 HP is reasonable for a NASCAR racer of the era, so the top shelf torino (ford's NASCAR entry) putting down that kind of power isn't unusual.

Back