2017 Fiat 124 Spyder (basically a Mazda Miata MX-5)

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
But with new sheet metal, and Fiat engines instead of Mazda engines.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/90395/fiat-124-spider-leaks-ahead-of-la-debut

Pics in the link. I couldn't find any pics on google to direct link.

Quotes from the article:
"However, the Fiat will ditch the Mazda’s naturally-aspirated 1.5 and 2.0-litre engines for its own 1.4-litre turbocharged MultiAir petrol engine from the 500 Abarth. Power is expected to stand at around 138bhp, while a more powerful 160bhp version will be offered in the US."

"Our source revealed that the new roadster will weigh in at less than 1,000kg, with a choice of “small affordable engines”. It’s likely to use the 1.4-litre MultiAir turbo from the Alfa Giulietta in a variety of tunes, while for the Abarth version the same engine could be tuned to “200[bhp] without issue”. On top of the additional power, expect the Abarth to get stiffer suspension, more aggressive styling and bigger brakes.

Given that the basic MX-5 has just 129bhp and does 0-62mph in 8.9 seconds, a 200bhp-plus version could offer genuine Porsche Boxster-rivalling performance."

Cool!
fiat-124-spider-17.jpg

fiat-124-spider-15.jpg

fiat-124-spider-30.jpg

fiat-124-spider-31.jpg

fiat-124-spider-32.jpg

fiat-124-spider-26.jpg

I actually prefer the Mazda styling of the ND over this Fiat body work....and I'd rather have the reliability of the Mazda drive train & Mazda techs, already familiar w/ the platform and the current motor, servicing the car over the alternative. There's always options on the aftermarket to add power for any one that wants more.

Rumors are all over the map on the power specs but many sources say that the agreement may likely limit the power that Fiat can throw into it.

BTW, The specs in your article are the Euro/JDM 1.5L model and not the US 2.0L skyactive model that has around 150 HP w/ a tested 0-60 in 6 sec.

I actually prefer the Mazda styling of the ND over this Fiat body work....and I'd rather have the reliability of the Mazda drive train & Mazda techs, already familiar w/ the platform and the current motor, servicing the car over the alternative. There's always options on the aftermarket to add power for any one that wants more.

I don't really know the differences between the Fiat and Mazda engines but wouldn't an actual car fan-Mazda guy not want the Fiat engine? I would think that the Mazda power train would be the attraction of this car.

I don't really know the differences between the Fiat and Mazda engines but wouldn't an actual car fan-Mazda guy not want the Fiat engine? I would think that the Mazda power train would be the attraction of this car.

The prospect of getting a more powerful motor than Mazda offers in the Fiat version, with a factory warranty, seems to be the big draw for some. Mazda toyed around w/ a turbo version w/ the Mazdaspeed edition in 2004-05 but it wasn't a big seller...otherwise, they keep the power to a rather modest level. The Mazda engineers and designers are often citing their concept of "Jinba ittai" or horse and rider....the balance between handling and power, which they believe is upset by adding more significantly more power than they provide from the factory.

I logged in last night specifically to start a thread on this and got distracted.

Needless to say, I am giddy over this car. I'm a big fan of Mazda, and their approach to car building, but the decision to platform share doesn't necessarily thrill me, and it's a real head scratcher from the Mazda perspective.

There is no agreement limiting FIAT in terms of performance. I read an article a few days ago listing the 10 biggest automotive blunders. Of the 10, were the ongoing VW debacle, the recent massive GM safety recall, and at the top of the list: "Mazda creating their own competition" that detailed their curiously one-sided agreement with FIAT and this car. Oops.

I'd prefer a "true Italian" roadster from a purists perspective, but can't argue with the logic and appeal of putting some lovely sheet metal over a reliable and proven platform.

Btw, yes... those numbers quoted above are wrong.

U.S. spec current Miata has 155 BHP and 126 lb - ft of torque.

A stock U.S. spec Abarth 500 has 161 BHP and 184 lb - ft of torque. The power also comes on MUCH sooner in the Abarth (500 and 2500 RPM).

That same motor (Abarth) is what powers my 500L, but in the larger car, it is tuned for higher output (180 BHP), which means there is already a drop-in ready motor on hand that would propel that car quite nicely. Mated to the same 6 - speed manual that my car has, and with some Abarth handling magic keeping it check, it could be an absolute beast.

The aftermarket is also shockingly full of go - fast add-on parts for the 1.4 Multi-Air engine. I've seen some Abarth 500s pushing 225 BHP and close to 300 lb-ft of torque just by plugging a module into the OBD II port. I'm sure all the added boost is likely not very kind to the longevity of the motor, but I haven't seen one blow up yet... yet.

Anyway, as you can imagine, I'm flipping a coin over which local asshole FIAT dealership to go to and demand they take my money.

I MUST own this car.

I MUST own this car.

TBH, I kinda feel like the MX-5 is a stretch at it's current street price for what you get. Depending on where the 124 falls, it could be even more of a question mark.

TBH, I kinda feel like the MX-5 is a stretch at it's current street price for what you get. Depending on where the 124 falls, it could be even more of a question mark.
Just like with the discussion on the Alfa 4C a while back, this is another example of cost Vs intangible value. I have no doubt that from a purely economic standpoint this car will be a bad investment. No doubt.

From a purely emotional and quality of life standpoint, it's sure to be a bargain.

Just like with the discussion on the Alfa 4C a while back, this is another example of cost Vs intangible value. I have no doubt that from a purely economic standpoint this car will be a bad investment. No doubt.

From a purely emotional and quality of life standpoint, it's sure to be a bargain.

I suppose...as it stands now, it's hard not to see a tart'd up Miata in this iteration. In person once they hit the street, it might be a different story.

Looks like a fun rig. I remember back when the Miata's came out in the 90's, and Alfa had recently left the US shores, Alfa enthusiasts commenting that the Miata was similar to what an Alfa Spider could have been had Alfa re-designed. So, very interesting to see this Fiat/Mazda mashup.

I like the look but it isn't really enough of a step away from the look of the original mazda for me. I was hoping for something a little more distinct. The power bump is nice, but there is no shortage of aftermarket go fast stuff available for the mx5. I do kind of like the hood bumps on the fiat.

That first sentence is funny to type, as the original mx5 clearly borrowed some lines from the fiat spyder and a slew of similar small British roadsters.

Anyway, FIAT chose wisely in the use of the mazda chassis, as the guys at mazda have the small sports car thing pretty much nailed down to a science these days. Mazda started with a decent platform and just kept optimizing/redesigning it with a focus always on the driver experience and feel.

Last edited:
Don't forget the most important one....the Elan, where many styling queues were lifted.

elan_mx505.jpg
Agree that the Elan plays a role, tough The alpha spider has been around since 1966.

EDIT: though in terms of styling clues for the Miata, I see what you are saying.

Last edited:
Agree that the Elan plays a role, tough The alpha spider has been around since 1966.

EDIT: though in terms of styling clues for the Miata, I see what you are saying.

Not to take anything away from Fiat's history but if you read any of the accounts of development of the Miata, such as "Miata 20 Years", it was 100% Brit roadsters. that were the inspiration Hall and Yamamoto were working off. The Elan, beyond the obvious styling homage, is often credited as exemplifying the driving dynamic they were trying to achieve w/ the first gen Miata. Bob Hall's Dad owned British roadsters like Triumphs and MGs that he had a fondness for.

Not to take anything away from Fiat's history but if you read any of the accounts of development of the Miata, such as "Miata 20 Years", it was 100% Brit roadsters. that were the inspiration Hall and Yamamoto were working off. The Elan, beyond the obvious styling homage, is often credited as exemplifying the driving dynamic they were trying to achieve w/ the first gen Miata. Bob Hall's Dad owned British roadsters like Triumphs and MGs that he had a fondness for.
I remember your discussing that in another thread. I have no special love for fiats, having been an Alfa guy myself. And other than the alfa enthusiasts liking the original miata as something somewhat similar to what an updated spider could have been, I have no real connection. It is interesting to me, and a bit curious, that this fiat mashup occurred.

PS, Though I liked the looks of TR6's, they were somewhat tractor like in their frame and chassis design, it seemed to me. Not sure about the MG's. The Miatas seemed much more nimble. I recall that the Elan was much more nimble than those older Triumphs and MGs as well.

Back