2016 Trans-Am Firebird

Rick 381

Boob Enthusiast
BBqVciM.img

Plenty of folks have cashed in on public nostalgia for the Camaro's late, lamented F-body sibling by Firebird-izing and Trans Am-ifying Camaros, often just by replacing the front and rear soft trim with vaguely Pontiac-y styling cues. Tallahassee, Florida-based Trans Am Worldwide has endeavored to take that approach to a higher level, modifying or replacing virtually every panel on the car except the doors.

The examples on display in the concourse area at the NYIAS are all based on the recently departed Camaro, but tooling is underway to replicate this look on the new Alpha platform architecture. In the meantime, cars have been procured to produce a limited run of 77 special black and gold Bandit Editions. Old Bandit himself, Burt Reynolds, is completely on board with the plan and will personally sign each of the 77 copies, which are retailing for between $125,000-$150,000 depending on options. And if black isn't your color, Nate Shelton, chairman of Hurst Performance Products, would be happy to sign a Hurst Trans Am edition in another color, if they weren't already sold out.

Standard equipment includes the fenders, quarters, hood, decklid, fascias, and lamps that transform the revised outside gauge faces that replicate the '77 model's, plus carbon-fiber trim to suggest an update on the engine-turned aluminum look featured on the original cars (and TAW produces its own carbon fiber in house). Pricing starts around $71,000.

Options include an old-school T-top roof just like the one through which Frog flipped the sheriff off, a front-hinged hood, a hood-mounted tachometer, interior upgrades, brake upgrades, and a choice of three enginesâ€, all with shaker hood scoops, naturally. The base engine is of course the LS3 that comes in the Camaro SS donor car. To that TAW will add an SLP TVS 2300 supercharger that ups output to a healthy 600 hp. Not enough? Go for the GM LSX 454-cubic-inch crate motor with a supercharger bolted on good for 840 hp and 790 lb-ft. That one gets a T/A-7.4 sticker on the shaker. The SS' transmissions are fortified for this duty, with manuals getting a Hurst cue-ball shifter.

Trans Am's went out of style about the same time as the mullet.

Actually, I am pretty sure the 2 were intertwined.

Trans Am's went out of style about the same time as the mullet.

Actually, I am pretty sure the 2 were intertwined.
I had a 1986 Firebird well after I got rid of my mullet.

It looked exactly like this except mine had T-Tops.

86fb10.jpg

Now that the Mustang has its new V8 Camaro and others have work to do. If Pontiac was still going the TA would interest me. Done this way only takes value away.

Back