2014 Gibson New Models

If the 2014 SG Standard is as good as the 2013, at least they'll have that to support the company.

The P90 melody maker looks kinda cool.

At least they didn't have a grammatical error in their anniversary logo like Gretsch did. :lol:

The strap buttons are finally big! That’s like knocking $20–$50 off the cost of every guitar. Of course they should have made straplocks standard, but this is a start.
Does “undercut fret over binding” mean they got rid of those nubs that stuck up and had to be cut off for a refret?

These are already LIVE on MF. Initial pricing is relatively decent; I wonder if the 15% code is working on them for today?

These are already LIVE on MF. Initial pricing is relatively decent; I wonder if the 15% code is working on them for today?
Oooo! This is very tempting!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2014-les-paul-melody-maker-electric-guitar
DV016_Jpg_Large_1382969904630_A.jpg

Reminds me of the LP Vixen I had but with P90s and additional controls!! It was a great guitar!

The new SGJs are STREET priced at $499; without the covered pickups and with the non-black tuning keys and without the giant Gibson logo of the predecessor, I can almost forgive the 24-fretness...hmmm...

How many people would buy the low-end 2014 Gibson models if they came with an attractive polyurethane finish instead of a halfassed nitro finish? Assuming they don’t botch the PLEK jobs low-end Gibsons are now comparable to similarly priced Asian guitars in every area except the finishes. In that department Gibson is on par with sub $200 Asian models. I’d jump on one of those SGJs if I didn’t have to choose between those shiteous stains.

I wish they'd put the B Bender on a different guitar. I really want to play around with a B bender but that Music City Jr. model just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm just wondering how these new " '61 zebra humbuckers" are - can't seem to find the specs. As long as they are not bad ceramics (as opposed to decent or good ceramics), then they should be OK.

How can we spot fakes now with no binding nibs?
What's next, a three screw truss rode cover? :lol:

61 humbuckers? Wonder what's up with that?

So, while I wait for M123 to unfuck my order :annoyed:, I played a 2014 SGJ at GC yesterday. The example on the wall was fresh out of the box, so it was relatively unmolested. My impressions were very positive - nice darker rosewood board, very shiny fretwire (for a Gibson), neck really smooth satin, and the body not too porous or rough. Lightweight. The return to a normal-sized logo, and the vintager tuning keys look SO much better than the previous "J" model. Pickups ('61 zebra humbuckers) Alnico V and seem OK, although the zebra effect on the satin cherry finish looks a bit wonky. Action and intonation set well - don't know if they did that onsite or if it was factory. Neck profile, while listed as "slim SG", seems to be smack between a '50s and '60s. Couldn't really find any QC issues with it.

All in all, IMO well worth the $499 asking price; even better at $424.15 :wink: - can't wait for my fireburst to come in.

Back