2013 Ruokangas Unicorn Classic in Black

i dig that. I'm not sure it's worth more than an Huber or Collings, but in the eventuality I actually have that much to drop on an instrument we can talk.

i dig that. I'm not sure it's worth more than an Huber or Collings, but in the eventuality I actually have that much to drop on an instrument we can talk.

On par with a Huber, better sounding than a Collings (or a Huber IMO slightly... just because it IS my favorite wood combo).

I tend to find people who drop 7k on guitars tend to not play them that much simply to keep the value up when they decide to sell it :wink:

You guys should watch the build series Juha did with the Unicorn. It's really great to watch:

Here's some other videos

better than a Collings? inconceivable.

inconceivable.jpg

(For the record, I feel mine are better sounding than Collings comparable models but not quite as perfect fit and finish wise. Close but damn they build a nice guitar)

The guitar in the OP is muy caliente

Thanks for the vids Doug. I now know how "Ruokangas" is actually pronounced. :grin:

(For the record, I feel mine are better sounding than Collings comparable models but not quite as perfect fit and finish wise. Close but damn they build a nice guitar)

Bold. I like it. I guess I will have to try a Kauer at some point

Strength and stability. I do the same thing. Plus it runs out thru the headstock face helping a notoriously weak area.

It never occurred to me that Gibson's maple spline didn't run through the headstock until you just mentioned it. I wonder if they'd have fewer breaks if only the spline ran through the headstock. There is, after all, an overlay on the traditional Gibson headstock.

Strength and stability. I do the same thing. Plus it runs out thru the headstock face helping a notoriously weak area.

Doug,
Can you post a pic of one?

I'm not getting how it works. Are the splines running the same direction as the TR or do they have to be more like a scarf join?
Or is it more like a multi-piece neck like on a high end Carvin or BC Rich?

Doug,
Can you post a pic of one?

I'm not getting how it works. Are the splines running the same direction as the TR or do they have to be more like a scarf join?
Or is it more like a multi-piece neck like on a high end Carvin or BC Rich?

Mine basically mirror the truss rod. About the same width, 1/4" deep running parallel to the trussrod. I'll snap a picture at work.

Juhas iirc don't run the entire length of the neck but rather from about the 5th fret, thru the headstock face. I'd have to watch the video, it's been a while since I've seen it.

Edit found it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9BlQZiR3jKw

Ruokangas makes nice guitars for sure. The only artist I know of that plays one though is Matias Kupiainen of Stratovarius:

Back