2013 Ruokangas Unicorn Classic in Black

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://rebel-guitars.com/preowned-2013-ruokangas-unicorn-classic-in-black/

ruokangas13.jpg

Here is a preowned 2013 Ruokangas Unicorn Classic in Black that features a bound Spanish Cedar body, Artic Birch top, Spanish Cedar neck, bound Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer, and Unicorn Custom pickups. Amazing playability and build quality. Completed in Dec 2013. Excellent condition with some minor playing/polishing scratches/swirls on the top and a light ding on the back. Comes in a Hiscox hardshell case. Includes COA, owner’s manual, spec sheet, cleaning cloth, tool pouch, & photo collage. New price on this model is over $7000.00.

The Unicorn Classic is the culmination of Juha’s luthier experience since the early 90′s. Despite the full blooded Ruokangas design elements and unconventional material choices the Unicorn oozes roots and tradition.

Roukangas935.jpg

• Unicorn Classic Specs
  • Body: Two-Piece Spanish Cedar
  • Plain, non-figured Arctic Birch carved top
  • Thermo Treated Topwood
  • Black, White, Black Body Binding
  • Gloss Nitro Top
  • Neck: Spanish Cedar
  • Boat neck profile (based on an original ’59 LP)
  • Laminated of three pieces
  • Headstock joined to avoid grain runout
  • Maple splines under headstock veneer and fretboard
  • Ebony headstock veneer with pearl inlaid R logo
  • Long tenon set-neck construction
  • Ebony Fretboard
  • Fretboard binding, matching with body
  • Two-way adjustable truss rod
  • Compensated 24.75” scale length
  • 12” fretboard radius
  • Unicorn custom fret markers
  • 22 Jumbo Stainless steel frets
  • Ruokangas compensated nut position
  • Paper thin Satin nitrocellulose finish on the neck & back
  • Nickel plated hardware
  • TonePros tune-o-matic bridge
  • TonePros aluminum tailpiece
  • Gotoh SD510 tuners
  • Gotoh straplocks
  • Matched set of Unicorn Custom pickups
  • 2 x Volume / 2 x Tone controls
  • 3-way toggle switch
  • Top quality pots, switches and wires
  • Fully shielded control cavity
$4995.00 + Shipping

I might have to email Wes.

Juha and Emma are incredibley good friends and the entire team are just master builders of the highest order.

Plus, who do you think turned me onto Spanish Cedar all these years ago :wink:

I might have to email Wes.

Juha and Emma are incredibley good friends and the entire team are just master builders of the highest order.

Plus, who do you think turned me onto Spanish Cedar all these years ago :wink:
I'm usually not into black Les Pauls but this one really caught my eye this morning. I'm afraid what the "new" price is if used is $5k though.

I would make one tiny change: Either black (or transparent) knobs or gold hardware. I find the current amber/chrome combination to be rather jarring...

I would make one tiny change: Either black (or transparent) knobs or gold hardware. I find the current amber/chrome combination to be rather jarring...
I'm thinkin' that those transparent silver-ish knobs that PRS uses would look sweet on that :)

Very nice, but for a double humbucker in Spanish Cedar I'd go with a Kauer creation, and I'm not just saying that because Doug hangs out here.

(OK Doug, where's my $10?) :grin:

I love it. But I can't afford it now that I ordered this 2015 LaPierre Spicy Team for $9600
15spicyteam.png

I know what most of you are thinking I already have the 2014 Spicy Team, well this one is the 2015 version with updated electronics. So there

I really love that guitar though

Reactions: Tig
Most times "just another LP-style guitar" elicits a big ol' yawn from me. But I actually like that one. Although it is way pricey.

Now that is the look I'd sport; especially the matte black top and stained natural back and sides. Looks formal and seriously solemn like a hearse. Colors just say to me - better be good to take people's focus off the guitar and into the music.

Really.

Other then the cool blacktop against a natural back (hmmm...where have I seen one of those before...? :wink: ), does nothing for me that something else at half the price wouldn't do.

Back