2001 Xterra

Meh. Are you a good mechanic?
'Cause with a 15 year old vehicle, you have to be ready to nickle & dime your way through the miles. 2001 is going to have 15 years wear and tear on all of the things like hoses, sensors, electronics, bulbs, etc. Do they salt your roads in winter? 15 seasons of rusty goodness to add into the mix.

Edit: it looks to be in decent shape. If you are serious & you don't mind spinning a wrench, have a mechanic you trust do a PPI on it. The money spent there will save you in the long run.

Last edited:
KBB (which seems to be the unofficial official price index of craigslist) w/ a random Peoria zip puts it around $3740 with out going into detail on the options.
NADA in good to very good put it at 3340.00 retail...

"its so easy to meet chicks with this car. you drive around town and only see chicks driving them so right away you have a conversation starter."

the-office-xterra-ebay.jpg

I rented one some years back while the work van was in the shop. I liked it - seemed solid enough, but is a killer on gas mileage. OK for short-ish trips, I reckon.

A friend of mine had one of those in the mid 00's and I *really* liked it. In '08 when I got my Scion I was looking at the Xterra and the Element as well; I wanted something a little bigger, but my Scion has been a pretty great car when it comes to mileage and hauling gear or Costco... not so great for trips to IKEA or landscaping supplies.

I've got a 130k+ miles on it now and have shelled out about $2000 in repairs last two years; couple that with the fact that Ashlee can't drive a stick and it looks like in a year or so (barring any emergencies for fast replacement) I'll need a new car.

Kinda crossed it off my list after reading more about it. The MPG sounds realllllllll bad. I sat too long on a good looking 2004 Grand Cherokee that I should have got, so now I'm back to scanning craigs over and over again.

I love my Honda Pilot. Not sure if the older ones are as good on gas, but My '13 averages about 20 mpg with a lead foot. Pretty good considering it' a pretty big SUV. Lots of room for gear, 3rd row seat, well thought out features, and it's a very comfortable ride. Great in the snow too. Even better than my Outback was.

Back