$200 in test equip for a bad tube

Wyatt

Kick Henry Jackassowski
This is on my heavily modded drip-edge Champ. How the hell did I not discover this? I swapped the other tubes...how did I not swap this one?

I was also fooled because another old black plate RCA 6V6GT died in my other SF Champ while I was checking all of these. Both these tubes were for the same batch I bought in the '90's and I think they saw abuse in my old Tweed Deluxe. But still, I think I'll try a JJ in this amp for a while.

Well, I still have the Super Reverb to work through...and the equipment is cool.

Nope. A really nice dummy load and a function generator to go with my oscilloscope.

Only actual testing needed was to swap a 6V6GT from one Champ to the next and vice-versa. But the first tube I used to double check flashed and died too.

Which Generator do you have as well O-Scope?

Your dummy load must be nice and really non reactive.

Which Generator do you have as well O-Scope?

Your dummy load must be nice and really non reactive.

The dummy load I bought was a Weber Tru-Load, overkill compared to a few resistors, but takes (relatively) less table space.

Function Generator is an old HP 3311A, replaced an app on my iPad. Once again, most of the functionality is useless, but the thing it does better than the app is a true square wave.

I had my scope already, a Tektronix 465B. Great piece in good shape, seems pretty accurate. I was told it was calibrated regularly until it was decommissioned, but calibration not really necessary for audio testing where we are only worried about the shape of the wave. That's why I like analog scopes...smoother display of the wave (though poorer display of square wave). A nice thing about scopes are you can also use them to find the outside foil of coupling cpas for building amps. If only it went "bing!"

And then all the necessary BCN cables to hook it all up.

I doubt any of these will ever pay for themselves, but I like playing with them as a hobby.

The dummy load I bought was a Weber Tru-Load, overkill compared to a few resistors, but takes (relatively) less table space.

Function Generator is an old HP 3311A, replaced an app on my iPad. Once again, most of the functionality is useless, but the thing it does better than the app is a true square wave.

I had my scope already, a Tektronix 465B. Great piece in good shape, seems pretty accurate. I was told it was calibrated regularly until it was decommissioned, but calibration not really necessary for audio testing where we are only worried about the shape of the wave. That's why I like analog scopes...smoother display of the wave (though poorer display of square wave). A nice thing about scopes are you can also use them to find the outside foil of coupling cpas for building amps. If only it went "bing!"

And then all the necessary BCN cables to hook it all up.

I doubt any of these will ever pay for themselves, but I like playing with them as a hobby.

I have kit built Function Generator when I was teaching classes. No dummy load other than an Ohmite wire wound resistor. Don't own a scope. Have and old one from one of the my old shops but it needs cal and is not worth it. Thought about just buying a 20Mhz unit. I may need to go to the TRW once a month sale and maybe I can find some decent used gear. Would be nice to have.

As for pay itself. When you are a tinkerer, all is priceless.

... A nice thing about scopes are you can also use them to find the outside foil of coupling cpas for building amps. If only it went "bing!"
That's interesting; makes a diff?

Model trains don't pay for themselves either, right Randy?

Back