GPOTD 2.15.17

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
t8unsfk0pvd8qoihceea.jpg

eaocstnxe6gmhzzfq2kz.jpg

tjhvo4gdsielmd584aax.jpg

jp9b6ebtlo9up5ugkjgk.jpg

1965 Epiphone Embassy Bass Pacific Blue Refin

Epiphone's Embassy Bass is one for those of you who love Gibson/Epiphone's styling and craftsmanship but can't get along with their customary short-scale offerings. Yep, the Embassy with its full 34" scale is more punch and less muddddd. That's right, these are the same pickups you find in Thunderbirds and they're a world apart from the mud-buckers on other Gibson and put a whole lot more workable tones at your fingertips. The style is great all around from the sultry cutaways to the bat-wing headstock. Even the knobs have a cool retro charm to them and you don't find them on any other brands. The actions is low and super playable. The neck is comfy with a J-bass type taper, with a little extra girth than that of the typical Fender. 1-1/2" wide at the nut. It's a very reasonable 7.8 lbs. It has a top-shelf pro-refin in a very sexy Pacific Blue finish. The serial number is still readable and we have a "before-shot" showing that the headstock has no breaks. Almost as rare as the Pacific Blue finish is the original case. A great package.

https://reverb.com/item/3141340-1965-epiphone-embassy-bass-pacific-blue-refin

I like it with the exception of the headstock and the price tag.
Yet another example of "just because it's old it must be worth a fortune" bullshit.
Admittedly, I have no idea what it's actual value is but I wouldn't drop more than $350-$400 on it.

I don't hate it, but it doesn't excite me. Didn't look at the price, and won't look at the price, but there are basses that I like much more than that.

I really dig it, always thought the batwing headstock was brilliant... but my guess is it doesn't balance very well. Basses are tricky to get balanced.

I'm betting that the loooonnnnggggg and skinny neck and biiiiigggg headstock at the end of what looks to be a very delicate neck joint is a disaster waiting to happen. OTOH, it would probably be really simple to get vibrato by bending the neck back and forth...

On another topic -- what is that ugly, rust-colored rectangle between the bridge and the pickup?

Back