1w is loud!

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I've been jamming on my new little Peavey 6505 20w mini head. I've come to the realization that 1 watt is plenty loud for a tube amp.

The amp has a switch on the back for 20w, 5w, and 1w operation. I've been using it in the 1w setting, and with the Lead Channels Post-Gain knob (channel volume) on '3', I gotta close the windows in my house or I'll be disturbing the neighbors :embarrassed:

I can't imagine having it cranked to '10' at 1w, I wouldn't be able to be in the same room.

On the other hand, If I want a really clean Clean Channel (Gain knob on the clean channel around 2 or 3) I've gotta come close to cranking the Clean Channel Post-Gain knob to match the volume of the Lead Channel set on '3'.

They have mini Classic and Valveking heads too. I didn't check those out. The 6505 mini head lead channel sounded so killer that I knew that's what I wanted.

The clean channel has a 'crunch' button that is footswitchable which almost makes the amp a 3-channel amp. You can get a really nice low-gain bluesy sound, all the way up to the EVH brown sound with it, sounds really good.

yep. i've got a Kustom 5 Defender (5 watts) and it's WAY to loud in the apartment to really use. i've come to the conclusion that i don't really like the way EL-84's sound for bluesy sort of stuff, so i'm not using it now. but the newer low watt tube amps are L.O.U.D. !!

Yep. My old fender twin might have had power tube distortion somewhere, but I was afraid to find out how loud it had to go to get there. It was a stomp box amp.

This is why I went with a 40 watt, Vibrolux based amp. It's 20 pounds lighter and if I want the option for dirt, it's there. The sound is plenty clean.

Back