1987 Fender Jimi Hendrix Strat on my bench

apparently! I will probably end up re-doing it because it doesn't appear to have been done correctly...:facepalm:

Ya think? :grin:

I'm really puzzled by that. It's a pretty significant amount of work to drill out a screw hole, fit a dowel, and glue it. Why not finish the job and sand it flat?

And why do it in the first place unless the neck is either (1) not original or (2) suffered a screw hole-stripping traumatic incident at some point?

Edit... wait, those are wood dowels, right? I mean the color and texture looks a little like putty but... no... can't be.

seriously? Perhaps it was an old neck used for that guitar...they would do that in the '60s a bit.

Check this article out: http://guitarinternational.com/2010...er-stratocasters-that-pay-tribute-to-hendrix/

That guitar I believe is a Tribute strat:

Number Four: Hendrix Tribute Stratocaster (1997-2000)
JANUARY 19, 1997, FENDER PRESS RELEASE:

In the late 1960s, Jimi Hendrix single-handedly stretched the sonic possibilities of the guitar and, in the process, changed rock music–forever. In his gifted hands, the instrument became a major vehicle of expression. It talked, cried, exorcised and exulted as he glided with exuberance and ease from searing, blistering, electric blues to feedback-laden, free-form jazz to smoothly crafted torch ballads.

In honor of the guitar-wielding legend, Fender Musical Instruments and Experience Hendrix, LLC (the family of Jimi Hendrix) have just released the Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster. “Modeled after the same Strat that Jimi played at his historic performance at the Woodstock Music Festival of August 1969, the instrument is bound to delight generations of guitar players and music history enthusiasts for years and years,” noted Jack Shelton, senior vice president of sales at Fender.

For starters, the Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster, which is built in Fender’s factory in Corona, California, is a left-handed model strung right-handed and reversed, with the strap button on the lower horn, so that right-handed players would appear as Jimi did when looking at themselves in the mirror.

The guitar, which is available in Olympic White, also boasts a maple neck with a large late-60s-style headstock, classic Schaller “F” tuners and woven strap. The icing on the cake, however, is the pickup configuration–three reverse staggered vintage Stratocaster pickups that are positioned perfectly for boning up on Jimi Hendrix classics such as “Wild Thing,” “Purple Haze” or even “The Star Spangled Banner.”

Specifications:

• Color: Olympic White Only
  • Part Number: 010-6822 Maple
  • Body: Contoured Alder
  • Neck: Special Shape One-piece Maple (7.5″ radius)
  • Machine Heads: Fender/Schaller Vintage “F”
  • Fretboard: Maple
  • Frets: 21 vintage
  • Pickups: 3 Staggered-pole Vintage Single-Coil
  • Controls: Volume, Tone (neck), Tone (mid)
  • Tremolo: Original Sychronized
  • Pickup Switch: 3-Way (5-way kit included)
  • Pickguard: White/Black/White (With Hendrix Tribute logo shown above)
  • Scale Length: 25.5″ (648 mm)
  • Neck Width at Nut: 1.650″ (42mm)
  • Strings: Fender Super 250R
  • Case: Black Tolex
Last MSR Price: $1,600*

*Blue Book Publications, Inc.’s “Blue Book of Electric Guitars, 8th Edition”

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-F...rse-Jimi-Hendrix-for-right-hand-/221819109001

The serial number on that neck is for a made in Japan instrument, 1986-87. I found this: http://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-fender-mij-68-hendrix-stratocaster.html

Apparently they made Hendrix strats in Japan. What throws me is that the purple decal on the sticker was how the US guitars were shipped to the store I worked at. Perhaps someone swapped out a pickguard to make a buyer think it was an MIA instrument?

I'm enjoying the mystery, In any event thats a horrible repair for stripped out screw holes.

Ya think? :grin:

I'm really puzzled by that. It's a pretty significant amount of work to drill out a screw hole, fit a dowel, and glue it. Why not finish the job and sand it flat?

And why do it in the first place unless the neck is either (1) not original or (2) suffered a screw hole-stripping traumatic incident at some point?

Edit... wait, those are wood dowels, right? I mean the color and texture looks a little like putty but... no... can't be.

yes, they are wood dowels, but they don't seem to be secure. Also, not sure that the "new" neck bolt holes are really positioned correctly as the strings were misalligned off of the bass side.

The serial number on that neck is for a made in Japan instrument, 1986-87. I found this: http://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-fender-mij-68-hendrix-stratocaster.html

Apparently they made Hendrix strats in Japan. What throws me is that the purple decal on the sticker was how the US guitars were shipped to the store I worked at. Perhaps someone swapped out a pickguard to make a buyer think it was an MIA instrument?

I'm enjoying the mystery, In any event thats a horrible repair for stripped out screw holes.

I'll take some shots of the headstock tonight. I didn't notice a country of origin when I first looked at it since I was more focused on the FUBAR pickguard and the neck joint. :messedup:

Got it back together and playable! Neck pocket on body is date stamped 1997 from what I can see.

Neck heel shows 1987 and back of headstock and serial number indicate USA made.

Back