1985. Pick one.

I'd take the ford. My brother had an 85 GT and I had an 86 GT. For the era they were pretty fast cars with reasonable handling.

BMW

I had an 83 525i that had nowhere near the sport pedigree that those things had that still did 0-100 in around 6 seconds and I topped out at 244kmh. I have a hard time believing a stock mustang GT could could top a 635csi. Definitely not maintaining any speed on the highway, so many American cars overheat quick fast in a hurry over here, Espc automatics.

I would agree with this statement.

They're built to drive on the Autobahn......While I would imagine that American detuning and all the restrictions placed on them upon import probably severely limited top speed, etc....over here in America, nonetheless, they are big, heavy cruising cars.

And I'm sorry, Mustang guys, but those things were pieces of shit. Sure you could trick the hell out of them, but then you're not really driving a Mustang any more, are you?

I used to eat Mustang GT's alive in my old Mazda RX-7. And if I couldn't beat them off the line, I sure as hell could lose them on the back roads. Those things handled about as well as a wheel-barrow.
:cool:

A buddy of mine had an 86 GT. It was a pretty sweet car.

Mine was a blast of a car. I did a lot of work on it when I had it, and it could do a 1/4 mile in 13.6 seconds. That was fast for the 80's.

I think Kong is right, in that the handling was rough compared to refined sports cars of the day, but it was decent for a live rear axle American car of the era. Mine had some lowering springs, different shocks and some bigger wheels and it was a decent handling car. I'd bet the supra and the BMW would both be faster on a road course.

Last edited:
280px-1986_Ford_Bronco_Eddie_Bauer.jpg

BMW.

The Supra might have even been a bit faster, but I am more of a luxury kind of guy.

I do not want (under any circumstances) the Mustang.
Kinda this. And because German seating treats me better. But the bumpers from that era were butt ugly.

But I would more likely have picked a 1985 3 liter GTV6. Way more fun.

images.jpeg
1985_Alfa_Romeo_GTV6_Callaway_twin_turbo_For_Sale_resize.jpg

Or this if I was feeling practical.
8333836077_fae93179df_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've had one too many BMW's to know it wouldn't be that one, or any other BMW unless it was a lease.
Fox body Mustangs are the Jeep of the sports car world. You can make it your own little beast for relatively little money.
But I'd probably go with the Supra. I still liked Toyota back then.

i had a '85 mustang gt. and i'd have one again. one of the most fun cars i've ever owned. and it would EAT corvettes of the same era.....which they f'ing HATED.

The BMW. The 85 GT was carbureted, not efi like my '90. The BMW would give the mustang a go in a straight line, then leave him in the turns.

It was good enough for Fred Dryer :embarrassed:

18riuf95fe8s5jpg.jpg

(No, I really wouldn't pick the Daytona Turbo Z over the BMW or Supra)

I think a lot of us have rose tinted glasses on remembering these cars.....

They weren't nearly as fast, didn't handle as well, or have the top speed most people think they did.

While they might have been fast for the time, they really weren't all that fast.....especially compared to what you can get today.

Fox Mustangs have now settled into a few groups: ran hard and barely limping, totally gutted for the dragstrip, or restored to new. They were great for modification and became the Vega of the 2000s (and the shoebox Chevys of the '60s.)

Vegas were crap cars (owned three of 'em) but they could be set up with a V8. I had one w/a 327. They sucked at everything except going fast in a straight line. The Fox Mustangs were better at handling, but became a great platform for aftermarket binges, which, unlike the Vega, there are unlimited choices.

I know every nick and cranny of the Fox platform. Tons of things you can do with them, and a really nice/properly done resto can produce a real keeper. But I've always preferred the less-popular versions of cars.

Look what someone did with a Ford Futura, which was just a 2-door Fairmont (Fox body)
26bbb0bfeac2b313918359bac50f6571.jpg

p145731_large1980_Ford_FairmontRear.jpg

Or the Mercury Capri
4483960001_large.jpg

My brother Jon had a baby blue Mercury Capri 5.0L

From what I remember he was always fixing something on it, but for some reason he loved that car. I think it burn just a touch of oil even when brand new, and was horrible on gas.

Back