Hot or Not? 1979 BC Rich short horn Mockingbird...

I prefer the Mockingbirds with the 5-piece bodies.

s-l300.jpg

"In 2007, Aleister went on to found Tragedy, All Metal Tribute to the Bee Gees, whence he changed his name to Barry Glibb."

So what is that and why? Piece of wood not long enough?

Much, much stronger neck joint. The grain of the wood can run the entire length of the headstock and stay parallel to the direction of stress. And glue really is stronger than wood. Remember most guitars have a large truss rod route at that joint, that combined with short grain on one-piece necks is what leads to Gibson headstock breakage.

15115d1413490071-what-purpose-scarf-joint-why-so-many-cheap-guitars-joint-explanation-jpg

It also saves on material costs because they can buy/cut thinner neck blanks, the headstock is cut right from the neck...cut diagonally, rotate the headstock piece, and glue.

But remember, Gibson headstocks aren't one piece either. They have wings glued on for little more than shape.
J50HD2_1024x1024.jpg

Much, much stronger neck joint. The grain of the wood can run the entire length of the headstock and stay parallel to the direction of stress. And glue really is stronger than wood. Remember most guitars have a large truss rod route at that joint, that combined with short grain on one-piece necks is what leads to Gibson headstock breakage.

15115d1413490071-what-purpose-scarf-joint-why-so-many-cheap-guitars-joint-explanation-jpg

It also saves on material costs because they can buy/cut thinner neck blanks, the headstock is cut right from the neck...cut diagonally, rotate the headstock piece, and glue.

But remember, Gibson headstocks aren't one piece either. They have wings glued on for little more than shape.

OK, did you look at the picture of the back of the Rich headstock on the previous page? The joint is about 2 inches from the top of the headstock, which is not the scarf joint you're showing here. I owned a late 70s BC Rich and mine didn't have whatever that is in the picture.

OK, did you look at the picture of the back of the Rich headstock on the previous page? The joint is about 2 inches from the top of the headstock, which is not the scarf joint you're showing here. I owned a late 70s BC Rich and mine didn't have whatever that is in the picture.

It's just a different angle with more overlap.

Back