1972 Micro-Frets Swinger - Trans Cherry

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://reverb.com/item/7183-1972-micro-frets-swinger-trans-cherry

vu9ig0gbvlsbyqeksbrx.jpg

prevnext

Hello, and thanks for looking!
I'm selling my 1972 Micro Frets Swinger. This guitar is in incredible condition, and could be one of the cleanest examples of an original Micro Frets out there. All parts/hardware are 100% original, including:

• Original hand-wound (by the company owner's wife, in fact!) specially designed Micro Frets single coil pickups
  • Calibrato vibrato unit that allowed the strings to stay in relative tune when being used (decades prior to the Steinberger Transtrem)
  • Adjustable nut, the MicroNut, that allowed for perfect intonation on both ends of the strings (decades before Buzz Feiten's tuning system and the Earvana nut)
  • Bridge and bridge saddles that could be 'locked' in place to keep intonation correct (again, decades before Tone Pros)
  • Original (and surprisingly heavy!) Micro Frets case

This guitar is just as it it was when it left the factory. It's recently been setup by Guitar Remedy in Tustin, California, and is ready to go to a new home!
This is the very last model Micro Frets produced, and being a 1972, this could very well be one of the last guitar's to come out of the factory. I've owned over seventy guitars throughout my career, and I can honestly say nothing else I've come by sounds/feels like this guitar. To me, it's got the jangley-ness of a Rickenbacker, the cut and sustain of a Telecaster, and the balls of a p90 equipped Gibson. Just an incredible sounding guitar. I'll really miss it!

Please do let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

[h=5] PRODUCT SPECS[/h]

yes yes yes.

I want a Microfrets badly, but finding one in decent condition for less than 1,600+ is difficult.

I've always dug MicroFrets since seeing Tiesco Del Ray talk about them in a mid-80s issue of Guitar Player (one of the first issues I bought). This is among the least aesthetically appealing of their guitars, however, and that's saying a lot if you seen a good array of their offerings.

I'd love to play it, but I would have a hard time buying this one...yet I love it's cartoon/junior high woodshop take on a Tele vibe.

$1,600, which is a good price for such a clean example of this model, but this is not a desirable model like a spacetone, which usually go for another grand.

If I had disposable income and just wanted to collect weird guitars I might. But until I marry my girlfriend it's out of the question

Ehhh, nope. Too many other weird old guitars I would get first, if I had spare guitar money :embarrassed:

That's pretty funky. :thu:

If I had disposable income and just wanted to collect weird guitars I might. But until I marry my girlfriend it's out of the question

Is that how it's supposed to work? I did it wrong, I guess. I had disposable income to collect weird guitars until I married my girlfriend.

Looks like some kind of kooky prototype. I don’t understand why that would be a $1600 guitar. Maybe $300, but only because it’s probably better than most of those junky $250 Japanese guitars.

That looks like the worse guitar ever built. Pickups don't match and looked tacked on. That trem unit is terrible, the locking nut thing looks like I made it. The neck late is just as bad, and what is that white piece of plastic under the trem? A five year old could have done a better job.

:vomit:

Back