WA0614-185434_5.jpg

WA0614-185434_6.jpg

WA0614-185434_7.jpg

WA0614-185434_8.jpg
WA0614-185434_9.jpg

WA0614-185434_10.jpg

WA0614-185434_11.jpg

WA0614-185434_12.jpg

Documented as the only matching numbers 4-speed convertible in existence, its factory broadcast sheet confirms that it was equipped at the Hamtramck, Michigan assembly plant with the New Process 4-speed, Dana 60 rear end with 4.10 Super Track Pak, 26-inch radiator and power brakes. Originally owned by a famous cartoonist from the Southwest who later sold it to a buyer in Oregon, it was eventually seized by authorities there in a drug investigation and sold at auction for $405,000, an unprecedented figure at the time.

The buyer subsequently commissioned a restoration by highly regarded Mopar restorer Julius Steuer of Los Angeles, California, who completed the work in approximately 2000. A few years later it was then traded for a number of vintage Corvettes from the current owner’s prestigious collection.

For any diehard Mopar enthusiast, the process of decoding the Cuda’s fender tag can best be compared to sitting at a slot machine as it spins out a jackpot; everything is there to add up to the grand prize of Hemi Cuda convertibles. In addition to being exceptionally rare, the car is a visual feast, its code B5 Bright Blue combining with a Black power top and matching Blue high-back bucket seat interior.

Nominally adorned with rear deck lid bright trim and wide sill strips, the car’s exterior decor is kept to a minimum, its painted steel wheels, dog dish hub caps and White-letter tires establishing the look of a serious road-burner further bolstered by the rare Shaker hood, hold-down pins and chromed dual exhaust tips. Driver appointments in the bright Blue interior include the Rallye Instrument Cluster with 8,000 RPM tachometer, 150 MPH speedometer, oil, temperature and alternator gauges and clock, 3-speed wiper switch and Hurst Pistol Grip shifter. Perhaps most importantly, in addition to retaining most of its original sheet metal, it is the only remaining example with its original factory-installed drivetrain.

Boing!
I wish they had a pic with the top down.
No rag top looks good with the top on.

Last edited:
So who was the famous cartoonist that owned this? I'm getting this mental image of Charles Schultz tearing through the desert in this thing.

Wasn't there only 5 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles made in '71? And one burnt up in Reggie Jackson's warehouse fire, from what I remember.

I could be very wrong on that number, but I seem to remember it was ridiculously low...

Wasn't there only 5 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles made in '71? And one burnt up in Reggie Jackson's warehouse fire, from what I remember.

I could be very wrong on that number, but I seem to remember it was ridiculously low...

i thought that number was for the '71 Hemi Challenger Convertibles....i could be wrong too.

ok....just looked up the numbers:

there were 5 Hemi Convertible 4 Speed 'Cuda's and 5 Hemi Convertible 4 Speed Challenger's made in 1970.

there were 2 Hemi Convertible 4 Speed 'Cuda's made in 1971. there were NO Hemi Convertible 4 Speed Challenger's made in 1971.

and there were NO Hemi's in either of those cars after 1971.
(that's what i could find quickly)

Reactions: Tig
I just noticed those seats. They look to be about as useless as tits on a boar. No lumbar/side support anywhere on them.

I just noticed those seats. They look to be about as useless as tits on a boar. No lumbar/side support anywhere on them.
Supports? Who needs supports? It wasn't a cross-country machine. It was a street rod. Besides, I'd opt for restraints before ergonomics.

At least they are buckets. My 69 roadrunner had a vinyl bench seat. Nothing like taking a turn at speed and finding yourself by the passenger door.

They did a damn good job of hiding the belts in those pix. I'm saying it ain't got none.

I remember seat belts were optional in some of my parent's cars. Anyone remember when they became standard/required in the US?

according to what i can find, 1965 was the year they became mandatory standard equipment. and i inherited my grandparents 1965 galaxie 500 and it DID have seat belts, and so did my 1966 thunderbird.

so the '69 cuda came with them.

Last edited:
according to what i can find, 1965 was the year they became mandatory standard equipment. and i inherited my grandparents 1695 galaxie 500 and it DID have seat belts
I got the original purchase 1965 galaxie 500 convertible from my parents. Whippersnapper.

Back