Hot or Not? 1965 Silvertone Silhouette 1478

My first guitar was a variation on the Harmony example above. My dad found it in a dumpster when he was going to Syracuse in the late '60s, refinished, and when I started playing that was my guitar. I have a huge soft spot for these. The neck was a bat, but unfortunately warped and not reasonable correctable. Still playable, but far from ideal.

Annie Clark/St. Vincent played these for years before playing Music Mans and they sounded awesome...here's my favorite clip:

Mine was/is like Annie's without the neck binding or vibrato and with the wood bridge replaced with a metal bridge.

Yeah, the old Silvertones, yeah, whatever. What matters here is that incredible performance by St. Vincent.

I think some of those old guitars are pretty cool. Once you've played a ton of Gibsons, Fenders, Jacksons, Ibanez, etc., it can be refreshing to hear the tone of these old cheapies. It's like that video above (although she's using a fair amount of gain) but you can hear the unique vibey presence these guitars have. Those foil pickups have increased in popularity now, with Lollar now producing something similar (and no doubt "better").

But indeed, "playability" was not the first objective when they built and sold those guitars. I took the safer route by buying one of the recent reissues for $485 with matching gigbag (not a great deal, I know). In that case my money might have been better spent on a vintage model for investment purposes, but I wanted "that tone" but with the modern "playability" enhancements. I also snagged the 1303/U2 and the 1423 Jupiter (the latter of which I did much better at $326) But the 1478 has the presence and the 1423 is a bit more bluesy and works well with brighter amps, like a Blues Junior for example. So the different models do have their own character. I started off with the 1478 Silvertone because it reminded me of an old MIJ "Prestige" 4-pickup guitar I bought back in the early 70s. So for me, it was recapturing a bit of the sound from my "yute".

But yeah, these things are more for folks who like to collect, or as I'm sometimes accused of, i.e. hoard. :wink:

Back