CA0814-191213_5.jpg

CA0814-191213_6.jpg

CA0814-191213_7.jpg

CA0814-191213_8.jpg

CA0814-191213_9.jpg

CA0814-191213_10.jpg

CA0814-191213_11.jpg

CA0814-191213_12.jpg

The Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing was one of the automotive sensations of the 1950s and today remains one of the most iconic cars of the entire 20th century. Inspired by the lightweight racing coupes that dominated the Carrera Panamericana, the 24 Hours of LeMans, the Mille Miglia and the Nürburgring 1000 Kilometers in 1952, the 300SL actually improved on the performance of the racers with the use of Bosch fuel injection on the slanted 3L inline-6 engine which, in addition to the gearbox, independent front suspension and swing-axle rear end were borrowed from the 300 S saloon model for budgetary reasons. The famed gullwing doors were necessitated by the 300SL’s novel multi-tubular space frame, which incorporated stressed side sections for increased structural rigidity. The subsequent high side sills dictated that the doors be hinged on the roof, actually constituting the side windows and part of the roof itself. Slanting the 6-cylinder engine and converting it to a dry sump oiling system reduced the height of the front bonnet, improving aerodynamics and aesthetics at the same time. The 300SL’s virtually unadorned body gave the car an elegant, even unaggressive air that belied its astonishing performance.

The idea for a roadgoing 300SL was the product of the fertile mind of New York City imported car dealer Max Hoffman. Known as the Baron of Park Avenue, the Austrian-born businessman was almost singlehandedly responsible for the deluge of European cars that flooded postwar America, including vehicles from Volkswagen, Porsche and Alfa Romeo. Watching the success of the lightweight SL racing coupes, Hoffman brashly guaranteed an order for 1,000 production Gullwing coupes for the American market, prompting the factory to abandon production of its competition cars and opt for the cash flow that would result from Hoffman’s proposal.

While the production 300SL was best known for its rally career, which included wins in the Liege-Rome-Liege event and the 1956 European Championship, it also scored such notable road-racing achievements as John Fitch’s fifth place overall finish in the 1955 Mille Miglia in one of 29 alloy-bodied versions, all underscoring the 300SL’s bedrock reliability.

The owner of this restored 300SL drove it in the 2011 Colorado Grand rally as a last-minute substitute for the car he originally entered. With no preparation, he was able to drive the entire 1,000 miles with absolutely no issues. The previous owner and his wife toured the car from Vancouver, British Columbia, to the Arctic Circle in Alaska, a trip of over 2,600 miles. Beyond its legendary reliability, the 300SL is one of the handsomest cars ever. Originally finished in Silver with a Blue plaid interior, this superb 300SL now sports a gorgeous Red leather interior with custom-made matching Red leather luggage.

One of my favorite all-time cars. I was going to post it in that most beautiful car thread, but I was too lazy.

The idea for a roadgoing 300SL was the product of the fertile mind of New York City imported car dealer Max Hoffman. Known as the Baron of Park Avenue, the Austrian-born businessman was almost singlehandedly responsible for the deluge of European cars that flooded postwar America, including vehicles from Volkswagen, Porsche and Alfa Romeo. Watching the success of the lightweight SL racing coupes, Hoffman brashly guaranteed an order for 1,000 production Gullwing coupes for the American market, prompting the factory to abandon production of its competition cars and opt for the cash flow that would result from Hoffman’s proposal.

On a complete tangent, the Hoffman Auto Showroom, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, was still largely intact until last year, when it was gutted to make way for the branch office of a bank.
SHORPY_Hoffman_preview.jpg

http://www.shorpy.com/node/15523

Reactions: Tig
Let me be the lone dissenter: If you had shown me that a decade or three ago, I would have agreed wholeheartedly, but I think the design hasn't held up that well -- proportions just (to me) seem somehow "off".

Let me be the lone dissenter: If you had shown me that a decade or three ago, I would have agreed wholeheartedly, but I think the design hasn't held up that well -- proportions just (to me) seem somehow "off".

The only thing "off" about that car is the price tag. :lol:

I've seen the one @ Simeone up close and personal and I'd have to disagree with you there.

Back