1938 Gibson

Bob411

thrumming with potential
Went to a birthday party Saturday. Was at the house 4 years ago with bro in law for a birthday party/reunion of a band he was in in the 80s. The wife Joanne was in the band. Anyways, we are packing up getting ready to leave and her husband Dave, who doesn't play brings out this guitar. It was his Dad's. Son is eating a cupcake so he hands it to me. I had to hit the strings. Wow! It was unbelievable. Really loud for it size and, the way it resonated was just unreal. I don't mean gee, this thing vibrates forever. It did but, how it vibrated, it was like holding a living being, is the closest I can come to describing it. They know it's a 1938 they want to know if anybody can tell them what model it is. No paper label at the sound hole. No markings inside that I could see.

P1120002.JPG
P1120003.JPG
P1120004.JPG
P1120007.JPG
P1120008.JPG
P1120009.JPG

Email Gibson with the serial #. They will know.

Just a hunch but that looks newer than 1938 to me but I'm no guitar historian.

Email Gibson with the serial #. They will know.

Just a hunch but that looks newer than 1938 to me but I'm no guitar historian.

They were guessing 38 based on when his dad was born and how old he said he was when he bought it. They looked it up somewhere and it confirmed 38.

Offer them $100 for it.

Seriously cool!

:grin:

Speaking of money, they have no interest in selling it but, what is something like that worth? Also, you could drive a truck under the strings. Neck reset? How much would that cost?

They were guessing 38 based on when his dad was born and how old he said he was when he bought it. They looked it up somewhere and it confirmed 38.
Wow...it looks to be in great shape for that age.
I would still think Gibson could tell you a lot about that guitar be submitting the serial # to them.

:grin:

Speaking of money, they have no interest in selling it but, what is something like that worth? Also, you could drive a truck under the strings. Neck reset? How much would that cost?

What do they plan to do with it?
At the least, it would be worth suggesting that it is examined by someone experienced with preserving/restoring pre-war acoustics. Not uncommon to need a brace or two reglued and some cracks stabilized.
Neck reset figure an average of about $450-500 for just the reset

Value?....selling it as-is or after the it has been repaired? Repaired by joe bob guitars or someone with a reputation?

Whatever they do, keeping it in a stable environment w/r/t temp and humidity is going to help preserve the condition. If it were me, I'd get it sorted out and pass it on to a family member that's going to play it and cherish it. Are they looking to adopt? :wink:

What do they plan to do with it?
At the least, it would be worth suggesting that it is examined by someone experienced with preserving/restoring pre-war acoustics. Not uncommon to need a brace or two reglued and some cracks stabilized.
Neck reset figure an average of about $450-500 for just the reset

Value?....selling it as-is or after the it has been repaired? Repaired by joe bob guitars or someone with a reputation?

Whatever they do, keeping it in a stable environment w/r/t temp and humidity is going to help preserve the condition. If it were me, I'd get it sorted out and pass it on to a family member that's going to play it and cherish it. Are they looking to adopt? :wink:

As-is or repaired? Repaired. I think it deserves it.

Back