$175 for a Crate V33 a good deal?

shoeless

Riffin'
I really don't need this, and it's about an hour's drive away from me, but it seems like a good deal at $175, no? Maybe @Chad or another forumite in the area will go snatch it.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/4859843990.html

Nice condition Crate Vintage V33 tube amp. Real loud, and I don't use it that much. Needs a new home. 175 or best offer. Would consider trades for hunting stuff, tree stand, binoculars. If you respond and want to see the amp, please honor your commitment to come see it, or call and cancel. I have had a lot of people flake out and not show up. If it doesn't go this weekend, I am just going to keep it.
00u0u_ex1sLWLLAo3_600x450.jpg

It's not USA. All VC, V15, V30, and some V32, and some V16 are. V18, and V33 are from China. There is a market for the 18, and 33. People who want to mod amps. If you just want to plug, and play, then stay away.

I've owned that exact amp, and the v18. The issue with it is the switching power supply. If (when) it goes, there is no way to replace it. I've repaired the same one for a friend of mine several times (there are diodes in the power supply that are easy to replace). The reverb in them sounds awful as well, but can be fixed with a replacement tank.

They are very mod-able, and can sound pretty darn good when modded. $175 is an OK deal, but I wouldn't pay that much for one.

The speakers are horrible and should be replaced.

I'd offer him $125 max, and that's 'cause I know how to fix them.

Oh yeah, they are LOUD, VERY LOUD.

Thanks guys. Like I said, it wasn't something I really needed, and it sounds like it wasn't such a great deal after all. Your comments made passing it up that much easier. :)

It's not USA. All VC, V15, V30, and some V32, and some V16 are. V18, and V33 are from China. There is a market for the 18, and 33. People who want to mod amps. If you just want to plug, and play, then stay away.

I would trust Bob on this. He has studied the V series.

Back