16 Days until Pitchers/Catchers report. The official 2015 Baseball thread

335clone

Living the dream
So, how will your team fare this season, and why?

My hopes for the Giants are tempered as this is an odd year. WS wins in 2010/2012/2014 have set a clear trend.

Still smarting from panda's defection to the scum of the AL. Biggest question is 3rd base, and I hope they don't just promote Arias to starter. Second biggest question is whether Lincicum can regain his starting job or will he become a permanent long reliever?

the Red Sox have your Panda. I just hope he doesn't balloon to about 280.

the Sox could have some serious offense this year, but they'll need it. the pitching is built on projections. which sounds a lot like an ERA of about 5.

Mets have pitching, but the hitting and defense is spotty. They should have their first winning season this decade, but will fall short of the wild card.

well.....how will my team fare?

Maxx is gone......and Justin hasn't pitched well for some time now.......so.....you tell me.

Both Chicago teams appear to be on upswing, adding some pieces after going through some rebuilding. The White Sox probably won't contend, but the Cubs have a shot at a wild card.

It is hard for me to get too excited about the Rockies this year. They did next to nothing in the off season. They got a couple new bullpen pitchers (very needed) and a new backup catcher. And this is with new front office management (see the new boss - same as the old boss). Apparently they really and honestly believe that all they need is better health next year and for a couple of their promising minor league pitchers to actually develop into their projected talent. Something they have a rather terrible record at producing.

So my guess is that even if all that falls into place - Tulo and Cargo stay health - Their top prospects pan out at the big league level. Even if all that happens and all the role players have a good that at best that puts the Rockies at around the 80 - 83 win level. Not enough to make the playoffs. Offense and defense should still be very good. If Tulo stays healthy they would have one of the best (if not the best) infield defenses in the NL. But still no pitching....

My actual prediction for the Rockies?? About 70 - 75 wins.....second to the last in the division.

the Red Sox have your Panda. I just hope he doesn't balloon to about 280.

the Sox could have some serious offense this year, but they'll need it. the pitching is built on projections. which sounds a lot like an ERA of about 5.

Nah, you want the Panda as big as possible. He hits better as a big man than when he's lighter. He's destined to be your DH.

It is hard for me to get too excited about the Rockies this year. They did next to nothing in the off season. They got a couple new bullpen pitchers (very needed) and a new backup catcher. And this is with new front office management (see the new boss - same as the old boss). Apparently they really and honestly believe that all they need is better health next year and for a couple of their promising minor league pitchers to actually develop into their projected talent. Something they have a rather terrible record at producing.

So my guess is that even if all that falls into place - Tulo and Cargo stay health - Their top prospects pan out at the big league level. Even if all that happens and all the role players have a good that at best that puts the Rockies at around the 80 - 83 win level. Not enough to make the playoffs. Offense and defense should still be very good. If Tulo stays healthy they would have one of the best (if not the best) infield defenses in the NL. But still no pitching....

My actual prediction for the Rockies?? About 70 - 75 wins.....second to the last in the division.

Hate to say it but the Rockies biggest asset is Coors Field. :shrug:

Hate to say it but the Rockies biggest asset is Coors Field. :shrug:

And their biggest curse. They need to bring in the fences a bit. It's not the home runs that kill you there - it the how freaking big the outfield is. A lot of real estate to cover.

And their biggest curse. They need to bring in the fences a bit. It's not the home runs that kill you there - it the how freaking big the outfield is. A lot of real estate to cover.

Not unlike triples alley at ATT (though we have much heavier air) but the park was built that way for a reason. They brought in the fences at petco and now it just sucks.

As for Coors, it is still the locale for one of my favorite homers ever.

Hell if they bring in the fences, even relievers will be hitting dingers out of that place.

There's an argument right now that the Rockies biggest curse is the altitude, which impacts injury recover. I dunno if I buy it, but it's out there.

I don't follow baseball nearly as much as I do football. Though I do enjoy attending a game once or twice a year. I almost prefer minor league parks and games.

But, I will try to follow along this year, and pull for the M's even if they suck. Rumor is they are slowly making an advance, maybe. I don't know. I just have never seen a team pulled together with enough personnel to go the distance, at least since the mid-90's when the stars from those teams got cherry picked by the Yanks and other teams. Still, I will hope for the best up in Seattle/Mudville.

I don't follow closely to Baseball either. I do enjoy an Angels game every so often and if the local teams are in the playoffs, I will usually watch and support either the Doyers or the Angels - however the latter is the preference. In the days of my youth we had the Hawaii Islanders, a AAA farm club that supported the San Diego Padres. My neighbor used to take me with his boys to the game and I always enjoyed those days.

Pitching is there. Just need the bats to wake up.

image.jpg

The Astros can only go up as long as they bolster up their pitching. They are finally buying into some talent this season so the build is looking good so far.

If George Springer stays healthy, he could be All Star material. I hope they keep the core players.
New to the team, Colby Rasmus is a needed bat and fielder. The return of the A's all around player Jed Lowrie is a welcome one.

Astros will go 159-3 and sweep the playoffs/Series. And there will be much rejoicing.

At least I will be able to see them play this year. The last two years there was some stupid cable war and I couldn't see Rockets or Astros games. :mad:

Astros will go 159-3 and sweep the playoffs/Series. And there will be much rejoicing.

At least I will be able to see them play this year. The last two years there was some stupid cable war and I couldn't see Rockets or Astros games. :mad:

As long as they aren't filling seats too well, you can walk up the the kiosk before the game and buy the cheapest seats... Then sit in the last two rows of the Crawford Box and enjoy the game. We even looked at our tickets and then the seats like we were confirming the match, just to sell the charade. :wink:

There's an argument right now that the Rockies biggest curse is the altitude, which impacts injury recover. I dunno if I buy it, but it's out there.

Yeah....that is floating around out here as well. Funny how it only impacts baseball. The Nuggets, Broncos, and Avalanche don't whine about that at all. I think the stadium is a huge issue come free agent signing time. While the Rockies are not a big budget team, they cannot get any big name free agent pitchers to sign with them. Thing is, all the great pitchers(Maddox, Johnson, Kershaw, etc) have always pitched well here. You adjust what you throw a bit and play the game. The only pitchers who are really screwed here are those who live and die by a big breaking curveball. DeLaRosa actually pitches better at Coors field than he does on the road.

Halo's should have a great year again. Was hard to see last season come to such an abrupt ending.

Not sure about the Howie Kendrick trade, but hopefully it all works out.

Yeah....that is floating around out here as well. Funny how it only impacts baseball. The Nuggets, Broncos, and Avalanche don't whine about that at all. I think the stadium is a huge issue come free agent signing time. While the Rockies are not a big budget team, they cannot get any big name free agent pitchers to sign with them. Thing is, all the great pitchers(Maddox, Johnson, Kershaw, etc) have always pitched well here. You adjust what you throw a bit and play the game. The only pitchers who are really screwed here are those who live and die by a big breaking curveball. DeLaRosa actually pitches better at Coors field than he does on the road.

And sliders. Romo always struggles at Coors because his killer slider just doesn't do what it is supposed to.

Back