12 string question.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
So I have a shitty Alvarez 12 string. I say shitty because it was a SDOTD model that has had all kinds of issues and the bastards at MF wouldn't let me return it. It pretty much sits in my living room rarely being played and I was wondering how it would impact the tension if I removed the standard tuning strings and left the octvae/unison strings to mimic Nashville tuning. Anyone ever try anything like this?

I am not a guitar builder - but it sounds quite doable.

And why the heck not? You are not playing it anyways.

Kerouac, are you talking about removing one each of the low E, A, and D strings? If so, it might be pretty tough on the neck, but then, if you don't like it anyway, I guess it wouldn't really matter.

I've got a very old Yammy 12er that I've got strung with just the octave (and unison) 6 strings. Nothing seems to have budged, but the old 12ers weren't really set up to handle the tension of 12 strings at concert (they were usually tuned down a step then capoed) and I pretty much use it to brighten up open position chords, so I don't spend much time up the neck to notice changes in action.

So I gave it a try (sorta.) The octave D string snapped and I left the unisons on, so right now it's e a D g bB eE. The regular d not sounds a bit odd playing single notes, but actually sounds pretty cool in chords. I'll probably do it the right way eventually, but this will be a fun experiment for now. Thing still goes out of tune like crazy though.

Give it a try. I don't believe it will hurt it at all but you may need to address the truss rod due to the decrease in tension on the neck.

Back