Gig Report: 12/17/2014 and an eff u 2 teh sound dood

OGG

Master of the Meh
Round 3 of The Obscure80's Live at Brick by Brick (our once monthly residency gig) took place night before last. As with the previous show, we opted to forgo a support band and play two sets since we now have so many songs in our repertoire. Once again, we BLASTED social media, exhausted every conceivable avenue for promoting the show. Virtually all of the San Diego news and entertainment outlets had mentions for it, the BandsInTown app was pushing it, the venue itself was actively promoting it... There really was nothing more we could do.

Remember last month when I complained about only having a crowd of 20?

Remind me never to do that again.

20 would have been a dream. Instead, aside from band member wives and family (of which there were actually quite a few) , there were precisely TWO people there . One of the two was the 5th grade elementary school teacher from my days as a kid. I had not seen him in 35 years. He was a huge mentor back in the day, and thanks to Facebook, we connected and he came out to support us which was absolutely awesome. The other was a friend of his he brought along with him.

This may have been more blessing than curse.

Train.

Wreck.

For starters, we had effectively zero practice time between the last show and this one. With the Thanksgiving Holiday, and individual band members traveling at different times over the last month, it just wasn't doable. I was substantially more nervous when I arrived at the venue than I have ever been before. I don't know why, but the anxiety was nearly overpowering, I felt sick and weak.

Then there was the sound guy. Not sure what happened, but the guy who had done our last two shows there (and was awesome), was not there. Instead, as it turned out, the guy who was there, turned out to be the same guy who did our sound at the Del Mar Fair gig back in June. Really nice guy, did a fine job at Del Mar.

His job was easy... Why? Because the entire set up is 100% digital, our "sound" template was pre-loaded as a file in the system. Everything from monitor mixes to EQ... It was all already done for him. He just needed to fire up the system and leave it the fuck alone.

Well, He decided on his own and without any consultation to significantly alter the locations of the stage monitors. Rather than having them in their standard position at the front edge of the stage, he thought we would like having them placed on the stage, and much closer to us than normal.

Since I was in the front and center position with a double keyboard stand directly in front of me, and my HD500 at my feet directly between me and the stand, he placed both of my massive monitors directly to my right, very close, and at a 45 degree angle that is firing directly at both my guitar pick ups, and my Amp behind me.

Anyone see the problem here?

We sound checked with a couple of songs where my guitar tone was sparkly clean. no issues.

Then the show started, Now mind you... I was using the exact same guitar, same amp, same processor and same patches as I had at the last two shows. The ONLY difference in my rig was that I actually turned my amp DOWN significantly from before. That, and the fucking stage monitors feeding my guitar signal DIRECTLY back at my guitar AND my amp. :facepalm:

The first time I engaged a patch with high gain (and there are many, many songs where this was the required sound), ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. The ungodly howling and squealing that resulted was ear piercing and violent. I was completely caught off guard, sound guy does NOTHING from his perch to make adjustments, and I end up over the course of the night turning the output volume on my processor down further and further until the point of me being completely unable to hear my guitar. Of course, that made playing a unique experience. I honestly don't know if any of my guitar sound was getting to the mains though I doubt it. There was nothing else I could do.

Meanwhile, we are all making stupid mistakes. Starting songs in the wrong key, blowing transitions, you name it. Having already been nervous, this turned me into a mess. I could see my hands shaking as I was playing keys. It was awful. I had also forgotten to print and bring set lists, which led to only the drummer knowing for sure (he had his own) what song was next.

Thankfully, no one was there to see or hear any of it other than our friends and family.

Afterwards, Sound Dood hears me bemoaning my sound woes to my band mates as we are tearing down. He proceeds to tell me that being a sound guy is all about understanding the physics of sound. He then tells me the issue was due to me not using a noise gate. I came very close to earning my first assault charge at that moment, but I just smiled and said "OK Sparky".

I use a noise gate on EVERY patch. In fact, because of the crazy amount of modulation and delay FX most of these patches use, I keep the threshold very high. Way higher (opening) than would be considered normal. Not to mention, that the problem only occurred when the fucking gate was open... in other words, it only happened when I needed my guitar to produce actual sound. Dickbag.

I hope his being there was just a one time thing and that the regular guy will be back for the next show.

In the end, despite a completely FUBAR show in every possible way, The Boss lady in charge of the Venue FINALLY got us a Friday gig for next month. That should be huge in terms of pulling a crowd. She also Promised to make the show with us and Micwalt's band "Arena" happen in February, March at the latest. That will be a blast.

Oh, last thing... Our door take for the night...

$22

However, I rocked the FIAT 500L to the gig, which crazily had more than enough room for all of my gear. This saved me a ton of money on gas compared to driving the Pathfinder, so I figure I easily netted a cool ten bucks in pure profit!

Bummer about the crowd. You guys have a good concept and good delivery, did all the right media stuff. It just seems hard to get people away from their homes to come out and hear. Again, I'd be there if I were nearby as this is my kind of music.

Reactions: OGG
Dang. Keep at it man. I'm sure if you've been doing this for a while, you know it's a marathon and not a race.

Mojo. Seems like when one major thing like that goes wrong, it starts the dominos of nerves and second guessing. If there's enough of a crowd to feed you some energy, you can often just suck it up and power on through.

It sucks when all the energy is going out and nothing coming back. :(

Sorry Rod, i know it must suck. But I think once word starts getting out, it will grow. Plenty of folks our there like me that remember those tunes.

Oh fuck, that's awful!
Much mojo!
We're gonna have to figure out a way to get some people there for our combo show.

Oh fuck, that's awful!
Much mojo!
We're gonna have to figure out a way to get some people there for our combo show.
As soon as we get a confirmed date, I say every member of both bands start an immediate and unrelenting social media assault. I will also press Alice to have the venue pony up for some print or web ads.

If I have to split $22 with 9 other band dudes, I will not be happy. :)

I think the OC contingent of Wieners needs to make the trip for that one...

Dang :(

Do you guys (you and micwalt) have a time frame for when your bands may do a show together?

People have little to no disposable income this close to Christmas,and we didnt book anything for this weekend or next weekend for that exact reason. I can only imagine how hard it would be to get people out on a weeknight in the middle of December. If I were in your shoes I would really think about scrapping the once a month show on a weeknight and focus instead on a weekend night as many people dont have work the next day,and can get a sitter more easily
MOJO!

As soon as we get a confirmed date, I say every member of both bands start an immediate and unrelenting social media assault. I will also press Alice to have the venue pony up for some print or web ads.

If I have to split $22 with 9 other band dudes, I will not be happy. :)

I think the OC contingent of Wieners needs to make the trip for that one...
Yeah, folks should make the trek!
I was wondering about radio promo too.
We need to make it into an event, you know?

Fwiw, IMO, ymmv, etc...

I have found that 1000 social media "we're going" clicks, likes, whatever, just doesn't mean shit.
I have played at places who say, "You need to put this on Facebook." And what are they planning to do to promote the show? Nothing except put up a flyer that they had you make.

Back