GPOTD 11.22.17

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
c7opdybh33xa5fwuxg7j.jpg

kpk11ms5kkoxibzb9f0u.jpg

dvdrbyzdsfmdkjubq7er.jpg

ewev2cpc8najpqkzkvut.jpg

Erlewine Automatic 1981 sunburst

Selling here probably one of the rarest guitars on this planet. It comes from the well-known guitar builder Mark Erlewine from Austin, Texas, USA. Definitely only 300 of these guitars were built in a small Japanese factory and my is the number 216.

I bought the guitar in 1981, shortly after Billy Gibbons of ZZ TOP occurred for the first time in Europe playing the legendary Rockpalast live on TV on 20.04.1980.

(See Video: ).

Since then she has been in my possession. I am a bassist and I only played at home. She is very well preserved and maintained.

The design, it is a mixture of stratocaster and Les Paul.

Set in mahogany neck with Rosewood fingerboard, Mahogany Body with flamed maple top and a DiMarzio USA humbucker at the bridge for a Les Paul typical, warm and fat sound. The bridge with the strings through the body, delivers the crisp attack and endless sustain. With the single volume knob, set the sound when turning back from heavily distorted to clear and clean. There is no sound lost by tone controls or switches etc.

The nut was replaced by a brass nut.

The guitar is in its original condition. On the back side of the body, I is a scratch protection. This can be removed again.

The guitar has a few dongs, but nothing striking. The frets are very well-rehearsed, no rattle, very smooth to play. The neck is straight and can be adjusted at the Gibson Style neck adjustment screw.

Especially nice (and also not all 300 guitars present) is the binding. Neck, head, body top and bottom plate have a cream, perfectly engineered binding, like a Gibson Les Paul Custom.

The guitar is very light. It weighs only 3,1kg (about 6.8lbs). Played without an amp it sounds very loud, resonant and balanced. All strings sound in all positions very balanced and defined. Amplified the guitar provides a fantastic, powerful blues and rock sound, otherwise only the most expensive custom shop guitars or original old vintage Les Pauls can generate.

The neck has a slim, middle C-profile on the saddle and is about 43mm wide. It feels and plays fantastic and is also ideal for guitarists with smaller hands. All the frets and all notes can be reached without effort.

I sell the guitar including a well-preserved rectangle case.

https://reverb.com/item/7281604-erlewine-automatic-1981-sunburst

I think it's pretty hot. IIRC, Guitar Player had a picture of Billy G on the cover back in the early 1980s, and he was playing one of these guitars. I immediately thought it was hot then, and I still do (ugly headstock notwithstanding).

I love this line in the text: "Amplified the guitar provides a fantastic, powerful blues and rock sound, otherwise only the most expensive custom shop guitars or original old vintage Les Pauls can generate"

Wow!

I love the completely 80s logo. I wouldn't pay $1500 for it, but I'd be seen playing it in public without embarrassment.

Back