100K......

I've never sold or traded a car that had less than 100k on it. Most of the vehicles I've bought have had close to 100k on them when I bought them. The two exceptions are Mrs. P's Stratus, which is the only new car we've ever bought, and my 2000 Ranger, which we bought used in 2002 with 16k miles on it.

Remember when (maybe some of you don't :embarrassed:) 100K meant the car was "worn out"? In the 60s and earlier, if you got 100K out of the family car, you did good and it was time to put the ol' girl out to pasture.

Nowadays 100K is about "half way" to the junkyard. 100K on a <5 year old car with mostly highway miles and synthetic oil is just gettin' broken in :)

I have friends who have just accepted the fact that they are going to have a car payment and lease a new car every three years. the thought is tempting when facing big maintenance bills - until I look at what an new car payment is. Even on a lease deal to get the payment low they want $5,000 up front.

Remember when (maybe some of you don't :embarrassed:) 100K meant the car was "worn out"? In the 60s and earlier, if you got 100K out of the family car, you did good and it was time to put the ol' girl out to pasture.

Nowadays 100K is about "half way" to the junkyard. 100K on a <5 year old car with mostly highway miles and synthetic oil is just gettin' broken in :)

Yeah, when I was a kid, my parents had a '77 Ford LTD and a '78 full size Chevy truck.

I think when they traded the LTD in '86 it had about 65k miles on it, and it was on its last legs. The '78 Chevy truck made it to '89 and almost 100k miles, but was using as much oil as gas at that point, and the body was 80% bondo.

They traded the LTD in on a 1986 Pontiac Grand Am, that made it until 1994 and about 200k miles. The '78 Chevy got traded for an '89 Chevy S10, that my sister totaled 6 months later. That got replaced with an '89 Ford Ranger, which I drove until 1999 and put 235k miles on.

Or you can buy a diesel and put 400K on it. Those suckers run forever.

The motor might run forever, but that doesn't keep the rest of the vehicle from falling apart.

Granted, they are definitely making vehicles better now than they did 30-40 years ago, but I still see some vehicles that are 5 years newer than mine that have tons of rust on them.

We've gotten pretty lucky in the rust department. None of our 3 vehicles (the newest being a 2004 model) have any appreciable rust on them, and we're in the rust belt.

Just stumbled on this one...

We have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe that just clicked over 180k - not bad considering we inherited it from my deceased inlaws who had only rung up about 70k, including one accident where it was t-boned :eek:. We now only use it a couple of times a week for shorter distances, and my daughter will use it when she's home from school, but it is still going strong. We're gonna run it right into its' grave, methinks.

Just stumbled on this one...

We have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe that just clicked over 180k - not bad considering we inherited it from my deceased inlaws who had only rung up about 70k, including one accident where it was t-boned :eek:. We now only use it a couple of times a week for shorter distances, and my daughter will use it when she's home from school, but it is still going strong. We're gonna run it right into its' grave, methinks.
It's going to last longer than my 2002 suburban with 118k miles on it :embarrassed:

My wife's 2001 Camry has 167K on the clock (bought it in '03 w.30K on the odometer). She wants to do 200K, or until the wheels fall off.

Back