$1000 to put together a gig ready rig...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
saw this on another forum. Thought it was pretty cool and could be fun...

Reverb.com posted this a few days ago, the rules being that you had to have a stage-ready guitar and amp, plus a way to tune up and any effects, all for under $1000. (Let's assume pre-tax.) The gear also had to be available on Reverb.com.

So anyone want to take a stab at it using either gear they already own (and at prices they paid for it) or gear that you could reasonably assume to find online or in a store nowadays?

I'll go first, using only gear I currently own/have owned....

Charvel San Dimas 2016 $720 - neon yellow of course

Boss Katana 50 watt combo and footswitch $160 - used

Reverb clip on tuner $3

$883... boom!

I'll play!
I'd grab a
Blackstar HT Club 40-$500
Yamaha Revstar RS320-$300
Clip on tuner-$12
Delay-TC Electronic mini flashback $100
TC electronic mini spark booster-$50
Total-$962
I suppose the remaining $37 would go towards cables. Lol

Ibanez AR-50 $400
Fender Musicmaster Amp $330
Polytune Mini $50
Turbo RAT/clone $50
DOD Boneshaker $40
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy - $100

$970

09 Fender MIM Standard Telecaster - $299 (MF Fender Friday Deal)
Tech 21 Trademark 60 (purchased used for $300)
Tech 21 RK5 ($269 new)
Digitech HT-1 polyphonic tuner (MF SDOTD) $30

$100 to print up Tshirts or other Merch!

Reactions: DFB
I have chaps, for riding. They are indeed assless. And they were $50 on amazon.

Anyway....
MiM Strat or Tele - $300 used
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Peavey Classic 50 - $400 used
Clip-on tuner: $10
Monster Cables: $50
Generic "Green" dirt pedal $40

$800

I have chaps, for riding. They are indeed assless. And they were $50 on amazon.

Anyway....
MiM Strat or Tele - $300 used
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Peavey Classic 50 - $400 used
Clip-on tuner: $10
Monster Cables: $50
Generic "Green" dirt pedal $40

$800

Cool, I still have 100 bucks to spend.

In 1994 I left a band where I was playing bass to join a band where I would be playing guitar. I didn't have a guitar rig at all so I went to Chuck Levins and bought a brand new American Standard strat for $450. I then picked up a brand new Peavey Classic 50,2x12 combo for around $400 and some kind of boss metal pedal. That was my rig.

For guitar:

Peavey Classic 30 - $350 used
Fender Blacktop Strat - $350 used
Snark Tuner - $15
MXR Custom Badass Distortion - $60 used
That'd do it, and still leaves $225 if you want some effects.

For bass:
Fender Rumble 500 Combo - $400 used
Peavey Patriot Bass - $160 used
Snark Tuner - $15

In 1994 I left a band where I was playing bass to join a band where I would be playing guitar. I didn't have a guitar rig at all so I went to Chuck Levins and bought a brand new American Standard strat for $450. I then picked up a brand new Peavey Classic 50,2x12 combo for around $400 and some kind of boss metal pedal. That was my rig.

Yeah, that's why I have such a problem with buying gear today. While I never got that deal, I had two Am Std Strats, one I got for $550 and the other for $600 (still have the first). My top notch MIJ '69 Thinline Tele was also $550 (still have). My ASAT Special that I got in '96 with the custom neck, $600-650. And my Blues DeVille 2x12 was I think about $500. Except for the uniquely crafted Thinline Tele, all pro-grade American-made gear. Now marginally different/updated Strats streets for $1,400.

That whined, it has been 20-25 years since most of these purchases, but the cost increases for a product that hasn't changed and whose production should be perfected (and as a result far more cost effective than ever)... Well, it's been too much for me and my wallet. Add having family expenses that didn't exist and the extra cost isn't something I'm willing to bear. I buy far frequently these days and spend years working towards purchases.

For the game though...

My Godin Session Custom - $450
A Vox VTX 40 combo - $250

That would do it, with $300 for pedals should I find the on-board stuff unsatisfactory.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I have such a problem with buying gear today. While I never got that deal, I had two Am Std Strats, one I got for $550 and the other for $600 (still have the first). My top notch MIJ '69 Thinline Tele was also $550 (still have). My ASAT Special that I got in '96 with the custom neck, $600-650. And my Blues DeVille 2x12 was I think about $500. Except for the uniquely crafted Thinline Tele, all pro-grade American-made gear. Now marginally different/updated Strats streets for $1,400.

That whined, it has been 20-25 years since most of these purchases, but the cost increases for a product that hasn't changed and whose production should be perfected (and as a result far more cost effective than ever)... Well, it's been too much for me and my wallet. Add having family expenses that didn't exist and the extra cost isn't something I'm willing to bear. I buy far frequently these days and spend years working towards purchases.

For the game though...

My Godin Session Custom - $450
A Vox VT40 combo - $250

That would do it, with $300 for pedals should I find the on-board stuff unsatisfactory.

What's funny, is back in the 80s I was a skater. Skateboards cost a little less these days then they did back then. My first real skateboardwasabot $140. Now a real board will run you $100 or less.

Back