GPOTD 10.28.14

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
94-95 MIM Fender Squier Series Telecaster

I told Andy that I would take today's GPOTD. I picked this up on a trade this weekend. It's a bit unusual.

DSCF0388_zpsd0082951.jpg

DSCF0384_zps9ddaab53.jpg

DSCF0386_zps08fb2ea6.jpg

DSCF0392_zpscfeeb9bb.jpg

DSCF0398_zps65b98ff1.jpg

DSCF0396_zps0a7e7015.jpg

DSCF0394_zps907eccc6.jpg

These were produced for a few years in the 1990's. They feature top loading long plate bridges, Asian electronics and tuners, Mexican alnico pickups, and American bodies and necks.

This is one of the best Teles I've played. The stock pickups sound great. The neck is very broken in. I'm upgrading the electronics with CTS pots and a 4 way switch. But that's it. It doesn't need anything else.

There is some good info on them here. http://davel.hubpages.com/hub/The-Fender-Squier-Series-Stratocaster-Not-A-Typical-Squier

:cool: Nice find! HNGD

Looks like the previous owner had the string alignment all over the place.

Hmmm....interesting mix of parts. Nice looking Tele....

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
------------^--------------
Like-O-Meter

Very cool! I had one of those for awhile and IIRC, @tgk03 ended up buying it; I ended up selling it to put towards my McFeely, otherwise I'd have definitely held onto it!

Honestly, I hate those tuners. I would spot those faceted tuner backs on guitars and walk away. Nothing but trouble for me in the past.

Otherwise, it's a sweet-looking guitar.

Love it!

I'm not a huge fan of those vintage saddles, though. I have those on a Classic Player Deluxe Thinline, and it's just hard to keep the strings from moving sideways. I'm sure the intonation (although I've not bothered to check it) is affected when the string moves sideways on that saddle, even though it might not be enough that most anyone could tell.

Nice! 90s Mexican Squier Teles are some real sleepers. They remind me a lot, of the '93 MIM Tele I had a few years ago. Also, top loader Teles actually sound pretty good, and are favored by some players (Jim Campilongo comes to mind). As for the saddles - I had no issues with the same kind of saddles on my '93. They may not be the greatest for players who need .008s or .009s to do the blooze bends, but with 10s or 11s, they stay put pretty well IMO.

:cool: Nice find! HNGD

Looks like the previous owner had the string alignment all over the place.
Very cool! I had one of those for awhile and IIRC, @tgk03 ended up buying it; I ended up selling it to put towards my McFeely, otherwise I'd have definitely held onto it!
I hate those saddles too. They slide all over the place.
Would Bubba mod to a 3 saddle and play the heck out of it.

Yep I bought yours, Andy and LOVE it. I didn't like the bridge, tho it functioned fine. I debated the bubba mod or installing a Wilkenson. I installed the Wilkenson and am having problems with string buzz.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/what-have-i-done.63429/#post-1041376

I adjusted the truss rod a smidge and it seemed to help.

I am gonna work on the electronics today.

Back