cnkttewsgbylbazpi4yb.jpg

nnswkudajisujfju427u.jpg

xmufkzhvjmoijcvu5dfz.jpg

z7ss1ihsqswbwdbwly9o.jpg

t9dt76yeamc1ppxeph9z.jpg

tmnafjl8mxogxnpzifak.jpg

hsjcyvthwnoea16kxhew.jpg

Vintage Kay K-60 Television 1938-39

I'm pleased to present a very rare vintage archtop: the top-of-the-line Kay K-60 "Television" model archtop. Kay really outdid themselves with this design; it's a stunner. This is a finely appointed guitar with loud clear tone. It's most striking detail is the Art Deco inlay on the neck and headstock--you'll never see another model like it.

This 17" archtop features a carved spruce top, bookmatched figured maple arched back and sides, flamed maple neck with walnut center stripe, and a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with gorgeous mother of pearl and abalone inlays.

I believe it to be all-original with the exception of the tuners which are Kluson type. The original tuners (chrome with chrome buttons) are included (I don't know why they were replaced but all parts seem to be there). The case also appears to be original.

This guitar was well played through the years and has the love scars to prove it. The top has a brilliant sunburst finish with great condition binding around the top and the f-holes. There is a repaired crack on the top center seam (the only crack, repaired or otherwise, that I can see). Sides, back and neck are also finished brilliantly, and the flame on these is just wonderful, particularly on the back. The inlay is exceptional throughout.

Hardware appears original (except the tuners noted above). Tailpiece is in good shape. Rosewood bridge is nice condition too, and the supports are shaped like arrowheads. Translucent pickguard is thick, smoothly beveled, and has a crack near the upper screw (may have been glued previously--appears stable). Nut and frets are good.

The guitar is strung with 12's and has what I'd call medium-high action. The bridge is thumbscrewed to lowest position and action gets higher as you go up the neck. Very playable but a neck reset may help down the road to get the action lower. There are plenty of scratches on it, particularly on the top upper bout area. There are also spots on the neck, mostly treble side, where the finish is gone (from capo use apparently). There are two mystery screw holes on the back of the headstock and two on the front. I really love the tone of this guitar: it's loud and punchy and has a great balance.

The case is a stunner as well: brown alligator pattern. I believe it to be a Geib. Super solid with a dark brown interior. The retaining ribbons have separated so it falls open flat and there is some leather gone from the handle. Overall it's an elegant case appropriate for this guitar.

Looks like low-end crap to me. But maybe those inexplicable holes drilled into the back of the headstock impart mojo.

Meh. It is in pretty good shape for it's age though.

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
-------^-------------------
Like-O-Meter

Hot. Very sexy-looking.

Probably in hard shape. Probably not the most playable. Probably doesn't sound amazingly. But probable doesn't always mean certain, I guess.

I'm known around these parts as an inlay hater. That reputation is well-deserved and well-earned. But, as these things go, that design is as hot as it will ever get. Borderline elegant.

I don't see me ever getting interested in a Kay guitar ever since my first bass, where I can only say that the strap buttons seemed to be decent quality. IIRC

Love to look at arch tops, never played one that I wanted to own. Including Parkers.

Except I want a Pagelli on looks alone.

Back