GPOTD 09.16.14

Good looking guitar. Would take in preference to a Gibson but would probably look at a Heritage first if I wanted a Les Paul type however.

Close enough to call it a LP rip.

Probably wonderful, and probably unjustifiably more expensive than a R_.

Uhh, if you've played the majority of the Gibson production line than there is nothing unjustifiable about it. This one is equal to if not better than a Custom Shop Gibby.

Yeah, I'm usually the first guy who says that all $2K+ electric guitars are overpriced.

But my wife gave me a Collings 335 copy last year, and it plays like a perpetual motion machine. I play it often, and I have fun doing it, so I'm happy.

I'm thinking seriously about buying a high-end mandolin, and Collings is definitely in the competition.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm usually the first guy who says that all $2K+ electric guitars are overpriced.

But my wife gave me a Collings 335 copy last year, and it plays like a perpetual motion machine. I play it often, and I have fun doing it, so I'm happy.

I'm thinking seriously about buying a high-end mandolin, and Collings is definitely in the competition.

I played some amazing Collings mandolins at Gruhn's.

I like it. Looks a lot like the James Tyler Variax JTV-59, though, which is only $1-1.5k and has modelling.

130202-body-large.jpg

I would prefer a plain top, but that's a minor quibble. It's a guitar I would certainly want to check out.

very nice! Collings makes a great guitar, and their fit/finish even has PRS beat (IMO). i prefer the upgraded fretboard inlays, but that's not a deal breaker to have dots. if you ever get the chance to play one of these City Limits, do it. the body contouring alone will win you over. especially if you're turned off by the non-rounded edges on Les Pauls.

Back