ifcsy93nzbeglg7zvsrw.jpg

oxjsbzazavwkpjcoxfb1.jpg

toi2jpsfquh06yeecp4y.jpg

caxq3eamaz6znxsyreou.jpg

ek3fykwxmswohwrkenf4.jpg

btgbam2mflah3m3wj7of.jpg

Vintage 30s/40s Gondolier

Beautiful 1930s Gondolier Parlor Guitar w/ Checkered Binding & Venice Stencil

Here was have a very special USA made Parlor Guitar from the 30s or 40s. This was most likely made by Regal, Supertone or Harmony before WWII. It features a solid birch body with a beautiful stencil of old Venice, Italy on the top, loads of checkered binding on the body, sound hole, neck and headstock and very cool Italian racing stripes down the neck! This beauty has much more bling than your average stenciled parlor, and exceptional tone to boot.

It has a 13-3/8" wide body, "Harmony" 24-1/4" scale length and a full 1-3/4" wide nut. It has been restored to excellent playing condition with a neck reset, light fret work and a new handmade bone nut and bone saddle. The rosewood pyramid bridge is original with nice pearl dot hardwood bridge pins. The original tuners work great and look fantastic. The body is gorgeous with no major cracks or crack repairs and it's structurally solid and straight. The neck is wonderful, nice and straight with a sharp V profile that's very fun to play. There are minor dings and scratches with some finish cracks on the neck heel and tiny signs of cracks below the bridge. It appears that the stencil detail was touched up a little near the bottom, I didn't even notice it until I was taking pictures of the finished guitar. There are slight marks around the bridge, as it looks to have been reglued at some time. The original wood endpin is still present and the guitar is in overall stunning condition for it's age.

It's been cleaned, conditioned and set up with great action with new 11-52 80/20 bronze strings. If all of this checkered binding wasn't cool enough, the celluloid racing stripes down the fretboard throw it over the top! It has a big, bold sound for an all birch guitar, nice and warm and loud for a parlor. Fun for flat picking and fantastic for fingerstyle, this is a very cool old piece of Americana that's been carefully preserved to last well into the future. The guy I bought it from said, "If you're Italian or wish to be Italian, this is the guitar for you!"

Parlor guitars are cool, but I'd have to try it out first, since so many parlor guitars sound awful, when you play with a pick.

There's something a little off with the aesthetics, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

IDK. For me to seriously consider it, I think that it would have to sound like beautiful angels competing in the finals of a KY wrestling tourament.

Reactions: Tig
I would be a nice $100.00 - $150.00 beater to keep out in the living room. My guess is they are asking a bit more than that.

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
---------^-----------------
Like-O-Meter

Back