GPOTD 07.23.15

When I see a company constantly bring out reliced guitars it makes me wonder if they are capable of producing a flawlessly finished guitar. I'm sure someone like Doug has been tempted to take a body with a finish flaw and relic it rather than sand it down and go over it.

Give me a guitar that looks like it's been dragged around the world on tour. I'll never play it outside my house.

Kind of f'ed up, when you think about it.

jhhgqppsmq2fsklxaosn.jpg

uetemn6mmdp0b20gdqea.jpg

cnj6a9d24r79jerkrbdk.jpg

f6sqywmt5j0nswnk8ucx.jpg

rht2vvnan6q23o9jpkqt.jpg

q3sy9xo3rvmafd1x4bsw.jpg

gddzcxdi4hg2mdvh2yq3.jpg

mq6mghjeqtuiigclc85u.jpg

Fano MG6 Alt De Facto

FANO MG6 Alt De Facto Vintage Cream Aged
Alder Body
Maple Neck
Medium Aging
Except for very minor fret wear at the 1st and 2nd frets, it is Like New in every way.
It was only played in my home, and has never seen a belt or buckle.
If you've ever played a Fano, then you already know that the build quality is over-the-top.
This guitar is setup perfectly from Fano, and plays like a dream. Lollar Pickups, and Vintage Trem make this a step above other MG6's out there. Please see spec sheet in one of the photos for build details, specs, etc.

Since the guitar looks like it was abused by a three year old with a hammer, why would anyone be worried if it saw a belt or buckle?

Would anyone notice the difference?

"Heeeeeeeyyyyyy.....I see belt buckle scratches on this thing. They were not part of the expert relic'ing on this! I want a discount!

#3 is why they make these. It is the only type of cable I use anyways.View attachment 22196

True.

However:

1) But then you get guitars that a right angle jack won't go into "nicely" as well as they have recessed or angled sockets.

2) Even with a right angled jack there is still a chance of clouting it with a trem arm as I found this problem on an old Ibanez Roadster I used to have.

3) Purely based on my own experiences the biggest cause of lead failure is the Jack's at the ends and right angled ones seem to be more prone to it than straight ones. That said I currently have several leads with right angled jacks but they are top end planet waves ones and a custom built one with some very expensive Neutriks on the ends. YMMV.

IMHO, if a builder is going to put a trem on a guitar, just have the common sense to move the jack socket out of the way so it doesn't matter what lead someone plugs in.

True.

However:

1) But then you get guitars that a right angle jack won't go into "nicely" as well as they have recessed or angled sockets.

2) Even with a right angled jack there is still a chance of clouting it with a trem arm as I found this problem on an old Ibanez Roadster I used to have.

Maybe it is those guitars with the issues and not this one :wink:

I prefer the top mount jacks, then you never have a cable sticking off the bottom to worry with when you set your guitar down. I have the top mount on my McFeely (it has the same control plate as this one) and my vibrato arm is fine no issues with it at all. Actually both of my current guitars are top mount.

Hate the neck "aging". It could not look any less realistic.
Love this "It was only played in my home, and has never seen a belt or buckle."
Why the fuck did you buy a relic?

+1

I give this a 5. It's a nicely made guitar, but this obsession with relicing that Fano, Nash and Fender (the Road Worn series) have is a big turn off to me. It smacks of faux street cred/I'm a veteran warrior of the stage. That'll be the day I spend extra money to buy a new guitar made to look like it's all banged up from years or decades of use.

I'm no fan of the guitar (I like the RB6), but I've always found this to be a weak, juvenile, "high school" age argument. "Street cred" itself is a real as unicorn farts. It matters to the 2% of people who think they have it and put stock into it.

"Every scar should have a story" is another romantic notion. It's just how the damn thing looks. Some people really overthink this stuff.

Back