qcfs16utywnn54ggbezq.jpg

p5fup5typ75vj2lod54q.jpg

osqkvdp6pzhnffyfjmek.jpg

tdeub9bf53dqs0h8kmuy.jpg

b6juvzuuhiscvhibxiyj.jpg

bybny8od3vmdjwx0djy7.jpg

qdwjbwocitgly6ykkqad.jpg

HOPF Archtop guitar ~1959

Beautiful old archtop guitar, made by Hopf in the late 1950s in West Germany. Hopf was - and still is to this day - one of the prime instruments makers of Germany.

Archtops have never been Hopf`s main area of manufacturing, which means that they were outsourced to famous German luthier Glassl. I don`t know whether this guitar was also made by him or some of the other German luthiers (could also have been made by Klira). In any way, this is a well built and beautiful standard sized archtop in great condition.

I am not entirely sure about the woods; some sources say all laminated maple, others claim that this has a solid spruce top. It is a beautiful and cool archtop, ideal for many kinds of music (though it was constructed mainly for dance music rhythm, but soloing brings out the Django in you instantly as well).

Sound and Playability:

As all archtops of that era, the guitar has a cutting wooden tone, really suited well for cutting through the mix of an ensemble. It`s more twangy and percussive than mellow.

String action is at a super, crazy playable 1,9 mm on the 12th fret high E. The guitar plays very soft and comfortably with a straight neck, which has no truss rod.

New 11 gauge strings (steel bronze, Pyramid - made in Germany) are attached.

Measurments 4,15 cm nut width, scale 640 mm, width at lower bouts 41 cm (16 inches), depth 7,5 cm.

Flaws:

The guitar is in an excellent condition for its age. There are some tiny scratches and the frets show some minor wear, but are totally fine. The rosewood bridge is new. Everything else is original.

I polished the frets, oiled the fretboard and the tuners, and put on new 10 gauge strings. The guitar comes un-tuned, and is playable immediately after tuning it up.

Summary:

Very fine German beauty - beautiful!

Looks nice. The lack of a truss rod is a concern, but the neck is still straight after 57 years.

Hmmmm, not bad! I played a 50s era Hoyer (another German archtop) a couple of years ago, and I seriously considered buying it - it was a great playing and sounding guitar. Those old German archtops are real sleepers IMO.

Looks great, but 1959? Was this thing in a museum all that time?
Exactly, I believe if it's in that nice of shadow it couldn't have played well.

Unless the owner died early and his family had it cased in a back room somewhere all that time.

Back