GPOTD 04.21.16

'A' for effort and creativity.

'F' for the final product. Though the suitcase idea isn't bad...

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
-------^-------------------
Like-O-Meter

I'd sure like to see it in person. Seems wild from an engineering point of view.

But I've said it before: guitars that require explaining for generally are doomed to fail.

I'm so lazy I don't even like putting a guitar strap on. It probably wouldn't be a good investment for me.

So, if it was hanging on the wall in a music store, I'd be tenpted to take it down out of curiosity. If I saw it in the case with the ballons deflated? Well, I'd just walk on by.

As it happens, I actually own the guitar in the picture. Its a 2001 Chrysalis guitar prototype #4 and it is one of only 12 that were actually made. All carbon fiber, aluminum and brass. Its actually pretty terrific. Its a crazy idea that actually works. The guitar is simply beautiful and is completely stable -- the neck seat is solid as a rock. Tim White, the designer basically (and wisely) abandoned the idea of using Mylar balloons as resonators in favor of something you have to plug in. I've done the same. I also upgraded the preamp to a Fishman Stage which is nicer than the old Fishman it came with. The guitar that this was the prototype for, the Ridgewing, sadly never actually went into production. Here's a great video showing what it could do:

Back