GPOTD 03.20.15

Your loss. These are not some mass assembly line instruments, but crafted by incredibly skilled builders. Would Doug's guitars be bad guitars if he was building them in China? I've seen your argument on a lot of other forums and I guess I should just be satisfied that leaves more Eastmans for those of us that aren't snobs and can buy an instrument based on it's own merits. Eastman's full-carve arch tops are quite popular among jazz players and their traditional string instruments and mandolins are acclaimed across the board.

I'm good with that. Actually, I'm trying to avoid -- to the extent possible -- ALL items made in China, Vietnam, etc. I've just decided that I'm not going to facilitate industry chasing the very bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to wages, etc. I guess I'm just getting to be an isolationist in my old age; I want to do what I can to keep what little we have left of what used to be the most powerful industrial base in the world here!

I'm good with that. Actually, I'm trying to avoid -- to the extent possible -- ALL items made in China, Vietnam, etc. I've just decided that I'm not going to facilitate industry chasing the very bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to wages, etc. I guess I'm just getting to be an isolationist in my old age; I want to do what I can to keep what little we have left of what used to be the most powerful industrial base in the world here!

But that's not what Eastman is about. It's not about wage chasing; these are Chinese people building the best instruments they can build that are inspired by classic designs, but built with an attention to detail and skill. You're being obstinate about something you don't even know enough about to make a informed opinion on.

For a bit more, you can get a Godin Montreal that's made on THIS side of the world.

iu

I agree. Those are cool. When ye olde cash situation gets better, I might get one. I've seen them on the wall at a local shop, and they're quite cool.

Don't get me wrong, the Eastman is a pretty cool guitar, it's just that if I were to get a 335-style, I'd prefer one of the Ibanez Artists, or Artstars. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of my Artstar AS-120 a few years ago.

I've only played a couple Eastman guitars but both were really nice. I'd hit it in a heartbeat.

Back