0-138-0

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I know you guys hate GM, and Cadillac, but this is pretty impressive. Especially for a small V6 car.

It even looks like the launch and some of the gear changes weren't the best. The times could be even better :eek:

I wonder what the chase car was? A Corvette, maybe?

rwngf3wsu34luubidpwo.jpg

Your tax dollars at work.

I have a friend who is a Cadillac kind of guy (actually his wife is). They've had a couple of different ones over the last few years. She has one of the SUV ones now.

My only problem with Caddy's these days is that they seem to have lost the "luxury" aspect of the brand.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's leathered out to the hilt with all kinds of gizmos and buttons.
But they're not nearly as comfortable as they once were when they were "land-yachts".

By being more performance conscious, I think they've lost what made them special.
They don't even come with a spare time anymore. (I mean, not even a donut! What kind of horse-shit is that?).

To me, they just looks like every other car these days.

You could put a Toyota badge on the front of it that picture and it wouldn't surprise me.

Zero brand distinction in that body design.

When I look at that car, it really gives me the big old "meh". Sorry.

Last edited:
I think their sedans (ATS & CTS) are very distinctive-looking, and I like the look. But you are right, Coralkong, I think the coupe versions lose a little of that 'look' and it makes them a bit more Lexus-looking.

I think Cadillac is after the BMW/Audi crowd of high end performance and luxury buyers. There really isn't an American brand tapping into that market very effectively. Lexus is there...Infinity and Acura to a more limited degree. What GM really needed to do was to slash another of their existing dead weight brands (Buick) and introduce a line dedicated to that market niche. Some American maker needs to do that. But they need to do it right....not half assed.

No spare tire?

That's absurd!

True story.

My buddy's wife had a flat tire in the parking garage at the Boston airport. Went to change the tire, and where the tire SHOULD have been was a styrofoam ring.

She called the dealership to say "WTF?!?!?", and the dealer looked her up and said (ready for this?)...

"Oh, I see you have the advanced roadside assistance package. We'll send a tow-truck for you right away."

Yeah.....I would have gone ape-shit.

True story.

My buddy's wife had a flat tire in the parking garage at the Boston airport. Went to change the tire, and where the tire SHOULD have been was a styrofoam ring.

She called the dealership to say "WTF?!?!?", and the dealer looked her up and said (ready for this?)...

"Oh, I see you have the advanced roadside assistance package. We'll send a tow-truck for you right away."

Yeah.....I would have gone ape-shit.

Free tow to the dealership where you will wait two hours for them to fix the tire. A half hour procedure turns into 4 to 5 hours and a huge headache. Whose great idea was that? :facepalm:

Free tow to the dealership where you will wait two hours for them to fix the tire. A half hour procedure turns into 4 to 5 hours and a huge headache. Whose great idea was that? :facepalm:

Her SUV had the "compressor" package (which she didn't even know was there), so instead of a donut (or a REAL spare tire), they give you a tire patch kit and you're supposed to use the compressor.

Now, I'm not trying to sound sexist, but expecting a middle-aged woman and 2 teenage girls to patch a tire and then pump it up on the side of the road in the dark (in this case it was the parking garage of Logan airport) in the name of saving weight, to gain an average of .001 mpg, .01 second in 0-60 mph performance is ridiculous.

Apparently, they couldn't get the tow truck into the parking garage, so they had to roll it down and out of the garage, which tore the rim up (it was something like that).....yeah, was quite a fiasco from what I heard.

I can't remember if it was in the parking garage or a parking LOT, but I remember laughing when hearing the story and shaking my head in disbelief....maybe it was the tow guy didn't have a lug wrench key to fit the fancy lock nut on the chrome rims. I remember that it was something outrageous.

They were understandably fucking hot about it. They didn't get a jack, lug-wrench OR a key socket for the rims, either, lol.....

Our tax dollars at work, lol.....

Yeah, fuck GM, :lol:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f21/should-50k-cadillac-come-spare-tire-90932/

Last edited:
I wouldn't feel right driving a car without a spare tire. :messedup:

As for the Cadillacs of late, I had one as a rental car last year (a CTS, I think) and it was really, really nice. Surprisingly nice, as I dismissed Cadillac years ago. It was an enjoyable car to drive.

In contrast to Coralkong's opinion, I like the direction Cadillac has taken in the last decade, moving away from the luxo boat to a more performance oriented euro style feel. I guess one's opinion on the move depends on what you like, and neither view is really wrong in my mind, but I fall on the 'new' Cadillac side of the discussion. I also think their styling the last decade has been pretty interesting and different. Take a look at something like the CTS-V couple, with the brutal angular styling and tell me it fits in with any other car maker's design language. They have a similar take across the whole line up. I think they are making some unique looking cars (again, the hard lines and angles really makes them different), and this really is a move to what Cadillac once was, a car so full of performance, design, and unique looks that the world pays attention to it. I think Caddy and GM are not quite there on all fronts, but 15 years ago if someone said Caddy was a potential competitor for BMW, they would have been laughed out of the room, and I think in another 15 they might be on the top of the pile.

Vehicles Without a Spare Tire
August, 2013 1
Acura
MDX (2014): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
RL (2006 – 2008): Run-flat tires
RLX (2014): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
TSX wagon only (2012 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Aston Martin
All models have an inflator/sealant kit
Audi
A5 (2008 – 2013): Run-flat tires
A6 (2009 – 2013): Run-flat tires
A7 (2012 - 2013): Run-flat tires
Q5 (2009 – 2013): Spare tire stored without air, inflator is provided
Q7 (2007 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
R8 (2010 – 2011): Run-flat tires
S4 (2006 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
S5 (2008 – 2013): Run-flat tires
TT (2008 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Buick:
Enclave (2008 – 2012): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Lacrosse (2010 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Regal (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Regal Hybrid (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
BMW
All vehicles are equipped with run-flat tires, except:
1M: Inflator/sealant kit
M3: Inflator/sealant kit
X5 (2007 – 2011): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires are installed when not equipped with a spare
X6 (2009 – 2011): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires are installed when not equipped with a spare
Cadillac
ATS (2013): Run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit
CTS (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Escalade (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
SRX (2010 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
STS (2005 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XLR (2004 – 2009): Run-flat tires
XTS (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator kit and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spareVehicles Without a Spare Tire
August, 2013 2
Chevrolet
Camaro (2010 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Corvette (2005 – 2013): Run-flat tires
Cruze (2011 – 2014): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Equinox (2010 – 2012): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Malibu (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Sonic (2012 - 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Spark (2013 – 2014): Inflator/sealant kit
Tahoe Hybrid (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Volt (2011 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Chrysler:
300 SRT-8 (2011 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Coda:
Sedan (2012): Inflator/sealant kit
Dodge:
All SRT models with 20 inch wheels: Inflator/sealant kit
Challenger (2009 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Charger (2006 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Dart (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Viper (1998 – 2010, 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Fiat:
500 (2012): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
500e (2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Fisker:
Karma (2012): Inflator/sealant kit
Ford
C-Max Energi (2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Explorer (2011 – 2012): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Focus (2008 – 2012): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Focus Electric (2013 - 2014) Inflator/sealant kit
Fusion Energi and Hybrid models (2013 – 2014): Inflator/sealant kit
GT (2005 – 2006): Inflator/sealant kit
Mustang (2011 – 2014): Inflator/sealant kit (except GT Base, which has a spare)
Taurus (2013 – 2014): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spareVehicles Without a Spare Tire
August, 2013 3
GMC
Terrain (2010 – 2012): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Yukon Hybrid (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Honda
Civic CNG (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Civic Hybrid (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
CR-Z (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
FCX Clarity: Inflator/sealant kit
Fit (2012 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Odyssey Touring (2005 – 2007): Run-flat tires
Odyssey Touring (2008 – 2009): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires are installed when not equipped with a spare
Hyundai
Accent (2011 – 2012): Inflator/sealant kit
Elantra (2011 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Sonata Hybrid (2012 - 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Veloster (2012 - 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Jaguar
F-Type (2014): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XF (2009 – 2012): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a
spare
XK (2007 – 2013): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a
spare
Kia:
Forte (2104): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Optima (2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Optima Hybrid (2011 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Rio (2003 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Soul (2010 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Lexus
IS Series (2006 – 2012): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires provided when not equipped with a spare
LF-A (2011 – 2012): Inflator/sealant kit
SC series (2003 – 2010): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires provided when not equipped with a spare
Lincoln
MKZ (2014): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
MKZ Hybrid (2014): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spareVehicles Without a Spare Tire
August, 2013 4
Lotus
All models equipped with inflator/sealant kit
Mazda
MX5 (2006 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
RX8 (2004 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Mercedes
C-Class (2013 – 2014): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires provided when not equipped with a spare
CLA-Class (2014): Run-flat tires, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with run-flat tires
CLS-Class (2013 - 2014): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires provided when not equipped with a spare
E-Class (2010 – 2014): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires provided when not equipped with a spare
GL-Class (2013): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
GLK-Class (2013): Run-flat tires, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with run-flat tires
ML-Class (2006 – 2014): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with
a spare
R-Class (2006 – 2012): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires provided when not equipped with a spare
S-Class (2007 – 2013): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires provided when not equipped with a spare
SL-Class (2013): Run-flat tires, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with run-flat tires
SLK (2005 – 2014): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a
spare
SLS AMG (2011 – 2014): Inflator/sealant kit
SLR McLaren (2005 – 2009): Inflator/sealant kit
Mini (all models)
Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Mitsubishi:
i-MiEV (2012 - 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
..continued

Nissan
370z (2009 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
GT-R (2009 – 2014): Run-flat tires
Leaf (2012 - 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Murano Cross Cabriolet (2013 – 2014): Inflator/sealant kit
Quest (2007): RL (2006 – 2008): Spare tire optional, run-flat tires are installed when not equipped with a spare
Pontiac
G8 (2009): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Solstice (2007 – 2009): Inflator/sealant kitVehicles Without a Spare Tire
August, 2013 5
Porsche
911 (2005 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Boxster (2005 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Carrera GT (2004 – 2008): Inflator/sealant kit
Cayenne (2003 - 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Cayman (2006 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Panamera (2010 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Saturn
Vue Hybrid (2007 – 2009): Inflator/sealant kit
Sky (2007 – 2009): Inflator/sealant kit
Scion
iQ (2011 – 2014): Inflator/sealant kit
Smart
Fortwo (2005 – 2013): Inflator/sealant kit
Tesla:
Model S (2013 – 2014): Inflator/sealant kit
Roadster (2011 – 2012): Inflator/sealant kit
Toyota
Sienna XLE (2004 – 2013): Run-flat tires
Volkswagen
Touareg Hybrid (2011 - 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Volvo
C30 (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
C70 (2006 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
S60 (2012 - 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
S80 (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XC60 (2010 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XC70 (2008 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XC90 (2009 – 2013): Spare tire optional, inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/vehicles-without-a-spare-tire_aug_20131.pdf

^ That's from 2013

I guess it's a new way to add on the price of a spare tire.

I dunno, but I wouldn't buy a car without a spare. That's just silly.

So, I guess the moral of the story is.....if you're looking for a new car, make sure you get the spare tire option.

Does anyone offer "Real" spare tires anymore? Like, a real, honest-to-goodness full-sized spare?

Does anyone offer "Real" spare tires anymore? Like, a real, honest-to-goodness full-sized spare?

I haven't seen a car with a full size spare for long, long time. Even my 2000 Ranger, which came with 16" wheels, had a 15" "Temporary" use spare tire, though it was a 235/75R15, so technically it was a full size tire, even thought the other 4 tires were 245/65R16s from the factory.

My Blazer has a full size spare, but I don't know if it came from the factory since I when I bought it, it was 8 years old with almost 100k miles on it.

I have to think that the compressor hardware weighs as much or more than a donut would.
I have a car that came with a "mobility kit" and it weights a couple pounds at most. It's far lighter than a space saver spare

I did the Bob Bondurant High Performance School a couple years ago and we drove their race-prepared Cadillacs on the road course there. I've been in love with the new Cadillacs ever since. If work offers me another vehicle, I'll request a Cadillac.

I haven't seen a car with a full size spare for long, long time. Even my 2000 Ranger, which came with 16" wheels, had a 15" "Temporary" use spare tire, though it was a 235/75R15, so technically it was a full size tire, even thought the other 4 tires were 245/65R16s from the factory.

My Blazer has a full size spare, but I don't know if it came from the factory since I when I bought it, it was 8 years old with almost 100k miles on it.

My new Toyota Tundra has a full sized spare. I don't have anything fancy (I don't think the rims are the same, but it is a full sized spare tire.)

So does the 2003 Jag I bought. Heck, that one even has a mag wheel spare tire that matches.

(Of course, if you'll remember, I couldn't get the wheel OFF when I needed it due to the lug nuts, but those have all been replaced......)

I like me some spare tires. Handy things, these.

Well, for most drivers the spare tire is useless because they never check the pressure and it's flat when they need it.

That said, I wouldn't want a car without a spare.

Well, for most drivers the spare tire is useless because they never check the pressure and it's flat when they need it.

That said, I wouldn't want a car without a spare.
Last statistc I saw reported that the average driver experiences a flat tire once every 7 years... Factor in the number of people who would rely on roadside services and you can see why most mfgs don't really give a crap about full sized spares

Back